The current health crisis related to COVID-19 has impacted the media just like many other economic sectors.
In particular, there has been a significant drop in advertising revenues. Strangely, the crisis highlights the vital importance of professional journalism in order to combat the phenomena of disinformation and misinformation.
The aid is aimed at supporting publishers who meet the criteria of quality, professionalism and regularity of publication.
Interested publishers should apply to the Department of Media, Telecommunications and Digital Policy.
Who is concerned
Each publisher established in Luxembourg can apply.
In order to qualify for the aid, the publisher's publication must, at the time of application and for at least one year, meet the following criteria:
- disseminate general information intended primarily for all or a significant part of the public residing in Luxembourg, contribute to the pluralism of opinions and produce content relating at least to the political, economic, social and cultural fields at national and international level;
- have an editorial team composed of a number of professional journalists equivalent to at least 2 full-time jobs (full-time equivalent / FTE);
- be accessible to the entire population, whether free of charge or against payment;
- use one or more languages used by at least 15 % of the population according to official statistics;
- not constitute a promotional tool or an accessory to an industrial or commercial activity;
- devote, for the written press, the majority of the total surface area of the publication to editorial content.
How to proceed
Submitting the application
The applicant must submit their application to the Department of Media, Telecommunications and Digital Policy to receive the aid.
The application must indicate the name of the publisher and an IBAN account.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- a declaration of honour stating that the application is in conformity with the Grand Ducal regulation of 6 May 2020;
- any relations with other economic entities, which taken together form a single business;
- a list of professional journalists in activity between 15 April and 15 May accompanied by their employment contracts;
- a declaration of any other de minimis aid that the single business has received during the 2 previous fiscal years and the current fiscal year.
The Department of Media, Telecommunications and Digital Policy reserves the right to request additional information.
Amount of aid
The annual amount of aid is EUR 5,000 per journalist (full-time equivalent) taken into account.
Forms / Online services
Formulaire de demande écrite pour bénéficier de l’indemnité en faveur des éditeurs de publications dans le cadre de la pandémie Covid-19
Who to contact
Department of Media, Telecommunications and Digital Policy5, rue Plaetis
Phone : (+352) 247-82172Fax : (+352) 47 56 62The request for compensation for publishers in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic should be sent to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org