The Ministry of Culture awards subsidies to regional museums to support any special activities that promote the material and immaterial heritage of Luxembourg.
Who is concerned
The subsidy for museums is intended for Luxembourg museums, whether they be municipal museums or non-profit associations, for the following projects (non-exhaustive list):
- promotional activities;
- educational projects;
- management of collections;
- inventory and archiving of collections;
- safeguarding cultural heritage.
The Ministry of Culture does not award subsidies for:
- projects that meet the selection criteria for a different subsidy awarded by the Ministry of Culture;
- projects with no artistic or cultural dimension;
- projects intended to raise funds for charity;
- projects commissioned by an association or establishment that is party to a convention with the Ministry of Culture;
- projects that form part of a primary school, secondary school or university curriculum;
- acquisitions of property or already existing projects;
- operating costs or employee salaries;
- everyday normal activities;
- feasibility studies;
- training of staff.
Applicants wishing to receive this grant must submit a complete application postmarked no later than 2 months before the project or event begins.
Applications submitted after the project execution will be rejected.
To be on the agenda of a meeting of the Ministry of Culture's advisory body, a complete application must have been received by the "guichet subsides" at least 5 working days before the meeting in question (the dates of the meetings are available below in the section "How to proceed").
How to proceed
Filing an application
The application must include the subsidy application form for a museum, as well as the following documents:
- an itemised estimated budget for the project(s) for which the application is being submitted;
- an itemised estimated budget for the current year;
- any other supporting documentation that may be useful for the application.
Associations must also include in their application:
- an official copy of the association's articles of association, signed by its president, as well as a list of the members of its board of directors, if this is the association's first time applying or the articles of association have changed;
- an activity report for the past year and a press kit;
- a balance sheet for the past year;
- an income statement (profit and loss account) for the past year;
- a copy of a recent bank statement (showing cash at bank);
- the planned schedule of cultural activities for the current year.
Applicants must complete the application form:
- using a computer;
- in French, German, Luxembourgish or English.
Once it has received the application, the Ministry of Culture will send the applicant one of the following documents:
- either a confirmation of receipt, if the application is complete;
- or a letter listing the documents still to be submitted in order to complete the application.
Only complete applications will be processed.
Selection of grant recipients
The Minister of Culture's advisory body, composed of officials from the Directorate and the Cultural and Financial Services of the Ministry of Culture, evaluates each application according to the following evaluation criteria:
- the project's innovative character and artistic quality: i.e. the unique and innovative aspects of the project as described in the application. Applicants must show how the project supports Luxembourg's cultural heritage;
- project management and feasibility: i.e. how well-conceived the project is. Applicants should include a clear and precise description of the different project phases leading from its conception to its realisation;
- the project budget plan: i.e. an estimated budget that is detailed, realistic and clear. Applicants should show that the requested subsidy is crucial to the project. Applicants must list all other sources of funding (public and private). Applicants are encouraged to seek sources of funding in addition to public grants;
- audience development: i.e. how the project will find and reach its audience, which should be clearly explained in the application for a subsidy. Will the impact be local, regional, national or international?;
- they must provide proof of their experience and involvement in the culture scene: i.e. the association's past experience organising similar projects by submitting supporting documents such as press kits.
The Ministry of Culture's advisory body meets about once a month. For 2020, it will meet on the following dates:
- 15 January;
- 12 February;
- 18 March;
- 22 April;
- 13 May;
- 10 June;
- 8 July;
- 16 September;
- 13 October;
- 18 November;
- 2 December.
The advisory body will form an opinion on whether an application is eligible for a subsidy, and if necessary, on the amount to be awarded. The Ministry will inform the applicant of its decision by post.
Amount of the subsidy
Subsidies awarded in the form of a direct payment of public financial aid to the beneficiary, usually before the project is carried out.
The subsidy will be transferred as soon as possible.
Grants awarded by the Ministry of Culture will generally cover no more than 60% of the total cost of the project for which the application was submitted.
Obligations of museums
Recipients of financial support are required to meet the following obligations:
- they may only use the subsidy to pay costs and expenses related to the project for which the application was submitted;
- they must print "Avec le soutien du ministère de la Culture" (Supported by the Ministry of Culture) together with the Ministry's logo on all materials provided to the public for the purposes of presentation, information or advertising, including on the relevant website;
- the museum must inform the Ministry of any major change in the association (mandate, legal or administrative structure, change of management, etc.).
Forms / Online services
Notice to users of the Google Chrome browser version 85: there are currently problems with the electronic signature of MyGuichet.lu forms if you use this browser. Please switch to another browser to complete your online process.
Thank you for your understanding.
Demande de subside par un musée