The Ministry of Culture awards grants for publishers of cultural periodicals to promote the development and circulation of original cultural periodicals in Luxembourg and ensure the quality of those that receive a grant.
Grants are disbursed once annually, for the planned publication schedule for the relevant year, for cultural periodicals published by Luxembourg cultural organisations or associations active in the literature and/or culture sectors.
Applications for a grant must be submitted to the Ministry of Culture.
Who is concerned
Luxembourg publishers (companies and non-profit organisations) may apply for a grant for cultural periodicals.
This grant from the Ministry of Culture is not intended for:
- communes and associations of communes;
- foreign organisations;
- educational institutions;
- any association or establishment that is party to a convention with the Ministry of Culture.
Eligible publication types
This grant is intended for the following types of cultural periodicals:
- literature magazines covering: novels, short stories, poetry, essays, drama, science fiction, comics and graphic novels;
- culture magazines covering national heritage and history;
- culture magazines covering Luxembourg culture and societal issues.
Ineligible publication types
The Ministry of Culture does not award cultural periodical grants for:
- religious magazines;
- magazines by organisations with a political agenda;
- tourist magazines;
- university magazines;
- culture magazines subsidised with other public funding;
- magazines intended solely for a readership of experts;
- culture journals or magazines with informational content based exclusively on current events;
- projects that meet the selection criteria for a different grant awarded by the Ministry of Culture;
- projects intended to raise funds for charity;
- projects commissioned by an association or establishment that is party to a convention with the Ministry of Culture;
- projects that do not generate added value for Luxembourg;
- projects that form part of a primary school, secondary school or university curriculum.
Publishers wishing to receive a grant for cultural periodicals from the Ministry of Culture must submit a complete application before 15 March:
- of the current year if applying for a grant renewal;
- of the year preceding the fiscal year for which the grant is requested if applying for the first time.
How to proceed
Submitting the application
The application must include a request for financial support for publishers of periodical cultural publications, in addition to the following documents:
- an itemised estimated budget for the planned publication schedule for the current year;
- a certificate of registration with the Trade and Companies Register or the articles of incorporation of the requesting entity;
- an activity report for the past year;
- a balance sheet for the past year;
- an income statement (receipts and disbursements) for the past year;
- a copy of a recent bank statement (non-profit organisations only);
- an itemised estimated budget for the current year;
- the planned publication schedule for the current year.
Applicants must complete the application form:
- using a computer;
- in French, German, Luxembourgish or English.
Applications must be submitted to the Ministry of Culture by post, or by email to email@example.com.
Once it has received the application, the Ministry of Culture will send:
- either a confirmation of receipt, if the application is complete;
- or a letter listing the documents still to be submitted in order to complete the application. In the latter case, the applicant must complete and sign the required form and return it together with all of the requested documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered for financial support.
Each application for financial support for periodical cultural publications is reviewed by the advisory body to the Minister for Culture, composed of management officials of the Ministry of Culture and officials from the Ministry's cultural and financial departments. Selection is based on the following criteria:
- publication requirements:
- issues of the publication must be released at advertised, regular intervals (at least twice a year);
- issues must have been published regularly for at least one whole year at the time of application;
- publishing must be carried out by a professional company;
- the publication must be of sufficient technical quality (layout, print quality, image quality);
- circulation must be at least 200 copies per issue;
- the publication must have an ISBN/ISSN;
- advertisements in the publication may not exceed 20 % of the page count;
- content requirements:
- the publication must have an editorial staff that is credited in each issue;
- ethical considerations for publishing must be properly respected, particularly with regard to the citation of sources, quotations and photo credits;
- most of the original content must be written by authors who are Luxembourg nationals or residents;
- the publication must be of cultural and artistic interest;
- the publication must expose readers to new authors;
- circulation: circulation and sales must be at least regional in scale and must respect the standards of the publishing chain (stocked in stores, available for subscription, sales growth, readership growth);
- budget requirements: the estimated budget submitted must be clear, detailed and realistic.
Amount of financial support
- is awarded in the form of a direct payment of publicly funded aid to the beneficiary; and
- is disbursed once annually for the planned publication schedule for the relevant year, i.e. for all issues of the publication including special or non-serial editions.
Financial support awarded by the Ministry of Culture will be disbursed to the beneficiary as soon as possible and will generally cover no more than 60 % of the total cost of producing the publication (graphic design, layout, printing, binding).
Obligations of recipients of financial support
Recipients of financial support are required to meet the following obligations:
- they may only use the funds to cover expenses related to the project for which the application was submitted;
- they must print "Avec le soutien du ministère de la Culture" (Supported by the Ministry of Culture) together with the Ministry's logo in every issue of the publication and on all documents presenting, describing or advertising it to the public, including on the relevant website;
- they must inform the Ministry of any major change at the requesting entity (task/mandate, legal or administrative corporate structure, management, etc.);
- they must provide the Ministry with all documents and information deemed necessary to process and review the application file (amendment or cancellation of the project, etc.);
- whenever a State-funded issue of the publication is released, they must send 6 copies of that issue to the Ministry of Culture.
Forms / Online services
Notice to users of the Google Chrome browser version 85: there are currently problems with the electronic signature of MyGuichet.lu forms if you use this browser. Please switch to another browser to complete your online process.
Thank you for your understanding.
Demande pour une aide aux revues culturelles pour éditeurs
Who to contact