Maintaining and improving the ecosystemic benefits provided by forests – restoration of riparian zones along forest waterways

Legislation on financial aid to maintain and improve the ecosystemic benefits provided by forests includes aid for the purpose of developing and restoring riparian zones along permanent waterways flowing through woodland.

Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with competent jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature and Forest Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).

Who is concerned

Anyone wishing to receive aid for the restoration of riparian zones along forest waterways must apply in writing to the head of the district concerned.


The land in question must be in a listed green zone. Areas where pesticides are used or where ground work has been done which degrades the soil structure (e.g. tilling and stump removal) are ineligible.

The intended work may include the restoration of riparian zones initially comprising stands of softwood species which are non-indigenous or unsuitable to the location, using indigenous natural forest associations which are suited to the location, or the development of extensively managed wet grassland.


The applicant must submit the application to the head of the relevant district in writing before work commences.

How to proceed

Filing an application

When submitting an application, the applicant must state the following on the form:

  • their surname and first name;
  • their address;
  • their telephone number;
  • their banking institution and account number;
  • their national identification number;
  • the total area of the forest property;
  • information about the surface area concerned (commune, section, locality, land registry plot number, cadastral surface and surface treated).

If the applicant owns a farm, they must also state:

  • the farm holding number;
  • the farm accident insurance number.

Supporting documents

The application must be accompanied by the following:

  • a topographic map (scale 1:10,000) showing the location of the site;
  • a cadastral extract of the plots concerned;
  • a copy of the change-of-use permit in case of the development of wet grassland.


The head of the district will inform the applicant of the Nature and Forest Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.

Amount of aid

The aid is made up of the following component parts:

  • allocation of a single indemnity for future loss of trees that have not yet reached the end of their economic usefulness, based on a scale measured in euros per hectare;
  • a sum of EUR 35 per are for reforestation work carried out in riparian zones hosting natural indigenous forest associations suitable for the geographic location.

The aid is disbursed once the work has been completed, and a formal acceptance report is issued.


For restoration work in riparian zones with indigenous natural forest associations suitable to the location, the beneficiary is required to:

  • reserve a strip of land at least 5 metres wide, populated with natural hardwood trees, along the waterway in question:

o by removing all softwood vegetation;

o by reforesting the area through planting or natural regeneration; and

o then by leaving that strip of land to evolve freely without interference;

  • remove any softwood vegetation as and when required, and plant hardwood forests composed of indigenous species suited to the local environment (European alder, sycamore, pedunculate oak) in the area adjacent to the riparian strip and at a distance of less than 30 metres from the edge of the waterway;
  • carry out forestry activities in such a way as to avoid any traffic in the riparian zone and, as far as possible safeguarding the ground in the remainder of the zone to be restored.

In the case of work to develop extensively managed wet grassland, the beneficiary is required to:

  • carry out clearfelling of all softwood stands in the areas of land destined for a change of usage. The forestry work must be carried out in accordance with a code of best practices for protecting soil in the deforested zone, riverbanks, waterways and rare biotopes;
  • be in possession of a permit for a change of land use, issued by the Minister. The reallocated land must be redeveloped as extensively managed wet grassland in the conditions provided for in the Grand-Ducal regulation of 11 September 2017 instituting a set of aid programmes to safeguard biodiversity in the rural environment.

Repayment of aid

Any aid paid out must be repaid to the State Treasury when:

  • it was obtained through knowingly false or incomplete representations on the part of the applicant;
  • the beneficiary has failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary must also pay interest on the amount given, at the legal base rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.

If a false declaration is found to have been made through gross negligence or through failure to adhere to the principles of good forestry practices, the beneficiary is precluded from receiving aid for the year in question.

If they make a deliberate misrepresentation, they are excluded for the following year as well.

Forms / Online services

Demande d’aide en vue du maintien et de l’amélioration des services écosystémiques rendus par la forêt - Restauration des zones rivulaires des cours d'eau en forêt

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Förderantrag zur Wiederherstellung der Ufer von Bachläufen in Wäldern

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update