Last update 14.11.2018
Legislation on financial aid to maintain and improve the ecosystemic benefits provided by forests includes an aid scheme aimed at protecting and safeguarding endangered, severely endangered or critically endangered plant and animal species in the forest environment.
Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with competent jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature Conservation Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).
Who is concerned
Anyone wishing to receive aid to protect and safeguard endangered, severely endangered or critically endangered plant and animal species in the forest environment must apply to the head of the relevant district.
The land in question must be in a listed green zone. Areas where pesticides are used or where ground work has been done which degrades the soil structure (e.g. tilling and stump removal) are ineligible.
The applicant must submit the application to the head of the district in writing before work commences.
How to proceed
Filing an application
When filing their application, the applicant must specify the following on the form:
- their surname and first name;
- their address;
- their telephone number;
- their banking institution and account number;
- their national identification number;
- the total area of the forest property;
- information about the surface area concerned (commune, section, locality, land registry plot number, cadastral surface, protection zone).
If the applicant owns a farm, they must also state:
- the farm holding number;
- the farm accident insurance number.
The application must be accompanied by the following:
- a topographic map (scale 1:10,000) showing the location of the site;
- a cadastral extract of the plots concerned;
- a copy of the quote for the required work, approved by the Minister;
- a copy of the management agreement entered into with the Minister;
- where new habitats are to be created, a technical report showing that the proposed initiative is compliant with a coherent ecological approach, aimed at rehabilitating and sustainably managing biodiversity in the forest environment.
Once the work has been completed, the applicant must also provide a copy of the receipted invoice.
The head of the district will inform the applicant of the Nature Conservation Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.
Amount of aid
The aid is designed to cover a portion of the management costs, to the following levels:
- 50% of the total cost of measures taken to protect, restore, manage or create habitats for endangered species;
- 70% of the total cost of measures taken to protect, restore, manage or create habitats for highly endangered species, or those species listed in Annexe 6 of the modified law of 19 January 2004 on the protection of nature and natural resources.
The aid is disbursed once the work has been completed, and a formal acceptance report is issued.
The property owner makes a commitment for a period of at least 5 years.
The beneficiary is required to sign a management agreement with the Minister. That agreement defines:
- the protection and restoration measures to be implemented;
- the specific operation or management conditions to ensure the desired protection effect is achieved;
- the corresponding amount of aid and payment schedule.
Repayment of aid
Any aid paid out must be repaid to the State Treasury when:
- it was obtained by through knowingly false or incomplete representations on the part of the applicant;
- the beneficiary has failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary must also pay interest on the amount given, at the legal base rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.
If a false declaration is found to have been made through gross negligence or through failure to adhere to the principles of good forestry practices, the beneficiary is precluded from receiving aid for the year in question.
If they make a deliberate misrepresentation, they are excluded for the following year as well.
Forms / Online services
Demande d’aide en vue du maintien et de l’amélioration des services écosystémiques rendus par la forêt - Protection spécifique d'espèces animales et végétales rares et menacées en milieu forestier
Förderantrag zum spezifischen Schutz von seltenen und bedrohten Tier-und Pflanzenarten in Waldgebieten