Legislation on aid to maintain and improve the ecosystemic benefits provided by forests provides for aid to restore and improve the favourable conservation status of special forest micro-stands and their associated biocenoses:
- zones with petrifying springs with the formation of tufa;
- zones with springs and water-seepage zones;
- peat sources;
- isolated stone blocks or rocky spurs;
- cliffs and scree slopes;
- caves and caverns;
- abandoned quarries.
Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with competent jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature Conservation Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).
Who is concerned
Anyone wishing to receive aid for the restoration and improvement of the favourable conservation status of such special micro-stands must apply to the head of the district concerned.
The land in question must be in a listed green zone. Areas where pesticides are used or where ground work has been done which degrades the soil structure (e.g. tilling and stump removal) are ineligible.
The applicant must submit the application to the head of the relevant district in writing before work commences.
How to proceed
Filing an application
When submitting an application, the applicant must state the following on the form:
- their surname and first name;
- their address;
- their telephone number;
- their banking institution and account number;
- their national identification number;
- the total area of the forest property;
- information about the surface area in question (commune, section, locality, land registry plot number, cadastral surface, protection zone).
If the applicant owns a farm, they must also state:
- the farm holding number;
- the farm accident insurance number.
The application must be accompanied by the following:
- a topographic map (scale 1:10,000) showing the location of the site;
- a cadastral extract of the plots concerned;
- a copy of the quote for the required work, approved by the Minister;
- a copy of the measures set forth in the management plan authorised by the minister.
Once the work has been completed, a copy of the receipted invoice must also be provided.
The head of the district will inform the applicant of the Nature Conservation Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.
Amount of aid
The aid covers a portion of the costs, at the following rates:
- 50% of the total cost of the measures to restore or improve the favourable conservation status in the forest habitats listed in Annex I of the law of 18 July 2018 on the protection of nature and natural resources;
- 70% of the total cost of the measures to restore or improve the favourable conservation status in the forest habitats listed as a priority in Annex I of the law.
Aid is paid once the work has been completed, upon presentation of an invoice, proof of payment of that invoice or other supporting documents, within a period of 2 years of the initial agreement.
The aid is only granted on the presentation of a management plan which defines the specific management conditions and measures to be implemented to achieve the desired protection goals. The management plan must be authorised by the minister.
To receive the aid, the owner must undertake to comply with the management conditions and measures described in the management plan.
Repayment of aid
Any aid paid out must be repaid to the State Treasury when:
- it was obtained by means of knowingly false or incomplete representations on the part of the applicant;
- the beneficiary has failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary must also pay interest on the amount given, at the legal base rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.
If a false declaration is found to have been made through gross negligence or through failure to adhere to the principles of good forestry practices, the beneficiary is precluded from receiving aid for the year in question.
If they make a deliberate misrepresentation, they are excluded for the following year as well.
Forms / Online services
Demande d'aide pour la restauration et l'amélioration de l'état de conservation favorable des micro-stations particulières en milieu forestier
Förderantrag zur Wiederherstellung und Verbesserung des Erhaltungszustandes von speziellen Mikro-Standorten und ihrer Biozönosen in Waldgebieten