Legislation on assistance to improve the protection and sustainable management of forest ecosystems provides for aid to reinforce the forest ecosystem through the nurturing of young forest stands.
Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with competent jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature Conservation Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).
Who is concerned
Anyone wishing to receive aid to reinforce the forest ecosystem through the nurturing of young forest stands must apply to the head of the relevant district.
Forestry efforts which have already received aid for natural regeneration are precluded from further assistance.
To receive the aid, the applicant must confirm that the area to be reforested:
- is in a green zone. Areas where pesticides are used or where ground work has been done which degrades the soil structure (e.g. tilling and stump removal) are ineligible;
- is at least 40 ares;
- forms a single, contiguous forest stand.
More than 50% of the forest stand must be hardwood species, unless there are softwood species derived from natural regeneration.
The average height of the trunks in the stand must be between 5 and 10 metres, except in the case of oak stands, when it must be over 3 metres.
The application must be submitted to the head of the district before work commences.
How to proceed
Filing an application
When submitting an application, the applicant must indicate on the form:
- their surname and first name;
- their address;
- their telephone number;
- their banking institution and account number;
- their national identification number;
- the total area of the forest property;
- information about the area in question (commune, section, locality, land registry plot number, cadastral surface, surface area affected, and height of the forest stand).
If the applicant owns a farm, they must also state:
- the farm holding number;
- the farm accident insurance number.
The application must be accompanied by the following:
- a topographic map (scale 1:10,000) showing the location of the work site;
- a cadastral extract of the plots concerned.
The head of the district will inform the applicant of the Nature Conservation Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.
Amount of aid
The amount of aid is set at EUR 10 per are of land.
The beneficiary must:
- set up a system of self-contained growing areas (clusters);
- take action to maintain the apical dominance of future trees intended to produce high-quality wood;
- maintain the diversity of the trees.
Repayment of support
Any aid paid out must be repaid to the State Treasury when:
- it was obtained by means of knowingly false or incomplete representations on the part of the applicant;
- the beneficiary has failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary must also pay interest on the amount given, at the legal base rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.
If a false declaration is found to have been made through gross negligence or through failure to adhere to the principles of good forestry practices, the beneficiary is precluded from receiving aid for the year in question.
If they make a deliberate misrepresentation, they are excluded for the following year as well.