Legislation on aid to improve the protection and sustainable management of forest ecosystems provides for aid to reinforce the forest ecosystem through natural regeneration.
Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with competent jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature and Forest Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).
Who is concerned
Anyone wishing to apply for aid for reinforcing the forest ecosystem through natural regeneration.
The applicant must verify that the surface area to be reforested:
- is at least 40 ares; or
- is divided into several regeneration clusters, each of which must be at least 10 ares in size and, where applicable, distributed throughout the forest stand; or
- is 30 ares in the event of natural regeneration following a windthrow event or bark beetle infestation.
In addition, the surface to be reforested must:
- be in a listed green zone; this requirement precludes surfaces where:
- pesticides are used; or
- groundwork is carried out which degrades the soil structure (tilling and stump removal);
- form a single, contiguous forest stand.
The transformation of hardwood stands into softwood stands is
Applications must be lodged before any work begins.
How to proceed
Filing an application
Applications must be filed with the head of the district concerned.
On the application form, the applicant must specify:
- their surname and first name;
- their address;
- their telephone number;
- their banking institution and account number;
- their national identification number;
- the total area of forest land affected by the project;
- information about the area to be regenerated (commune, section, locality, land registry plot number, cadastral surface and processed surface area).
If the applicant owns a farm, they must also specify:
- the farm holding number;
- the farm accident insurance number.
The application must be accompanied by the following:
- a topographic map (scale 1:10,000) showing the location of the site;
- a cadastral extract of the plots concerned;
- a certificate attesting to force majeure circumstances in case of a windthrow event or bark beetle infestation
The head of the district will inform the applicant of the Nature and Forest Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.
Amount of aid
The amount of aid is set at EUR 15 per are of land.
This amount is doubled in the wake of a windthrow event or bark beetle infestation. Additional aid in the amount of EUR 50 per are for loss of earnings is granted.
The damage caused by the windthrow event or bark beetle infestation must be attested to in a certificate issued by the administration establishing force majeure circumstances. Such a certificate can be obtained from the competent district authorities. In addition, the minister must declare the circumstances a natural disaster.
The natural regeneration must:
- comply with predefined ecological criteria (see Annex III of the legislation);
- be between 0.5 and 3 metres in height;
- cover at least 70 % of the surface area of the forest stand;
- in the case of softwood species, naturally occurring hardwood populations may not be depleted.
If the naturally occurring hardwood population is less than 30 %, the natural regeneration must be supplemented by authorised primary hardwood species, planted in clusters of at least 50 specimens to reach that level.
Subsequent forestry operations must be carried out in the old forest stand so the natural regeneration is not compromised.
Repayment of financial aid
The beneficiary will be required to repay the aid received if:
- it was obtained by means of false or incomplete statements;
- they have failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary will also be required to pay interest at the legal rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.
For the year in question, the beneficiary will also be precluded from receiving any aid for improving the protection and sustainable management of forest ecosystems in the event of:
- a false declaration due to gross negligence; or
- failure to abide by the principles of best forestry practices.
If the beneficiary has made a deliberate misrepresentation, they will also be excluded for the following year.
If their application is denied, or if they are required to repay any aid received, the applicant may appeal the administrative decision by the usual means of appeal (non-contentious appeal, legal appeal), provided they observe the legal limitation periods.
It is also possible to lodge an appeal with the Ombudsman.
Forms / Online services
Demande d'aide pour la restauration de l'écosystème forestier par la régénération naturelle
Förderantrag zwecks Subventionierung von Forstarbeiten - Naturverjüngung
Demande d'aide pour la restauration de l'écosystème forestier par la régénération naturelle - perte de revenu
Förderantrag zwecks Subventionierung von Forstarbeiten – Naturverjüngung - Einkommensverlust
Who to contact