Legislation on aid to improve the protection and sustainable management of forest ecosystems provides for aid to reinforce the forest ecosystem through natural regeneration.
Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with competent jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature Conservation Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).
Who is concerned
Anyone wishing to receive financial aid to reinforce the forest ecosystem through natural regeneration must submit their application to the head of the district concerned.
The transformation of hardwood stands into softwood stands is precluded.
To receive the aid, the applicant must confirm that the area to be reforested:
- is in a green zone. Areas where pesticides are used or where ground work has been done which degrades the soil structure (e.g. tilling and stump removal) are ineligible;
- is at least 40 ares, or can be divided into several regeneration plots of at least 10 ares each, distributed throughout the forest stand;
- concerns the same forest stand.
The application must be submitted to the head of the district before work commences.
How to proceed
Filing an application
When submitting an application, the applicant must indicate on the form:
- their surname and first name;
- their address;
- their telephone number;
- their banking institution and account number;
- their national identification number;
- the total area of forest land affected by the project;
- information about the area to be regenerated (commune, section, locality, land registry plot number, cadastral surface and processed surface area).
If the applicant owns a farm, they must also state:
- the farm holding number;
- the farm accident insurance number.
The application must be accompanied by the following:
- a topographic map (scale 1:10,000) with site location;
- a cadastral extract of the plots concerned.
The head of the district will inform the applicant of the Nature Conservation Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.
Amount of aid
The amount of aid is set at EUR 15 per are of land.
The natural regeneration must:
- meet the ecological criteria listed in Annexe III to the regulation;
- be between 0.5 and 3 metres in height;
- cover at least 70 % of the surface area of the forest stand;
- in the case of softwood species, naturally occurring hardwood populations may not be depleted.
Forestry operations must be subsequently performed in the old forest stand so the natural regeneration is not compromised.
Repayment of support
Any aid paid out must be repaid to the State Treasury when:
- it was obtained by means of knowingly false or incomplete representations on the part of the applicant;
- the beneficiary has failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary must also pay interest on the amount given, at the legal base rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.
If a false declaration is found to have been made through gross negligence or through failure to adhere to the principles of good forestry practices, the beneficiary is precluded from receiving aid for the year in question.
If they make a deliberate misrepresentation, they are excluded for the following year as well.