Financial aid to reinforce forest ecosystems by horse or cable logging

Legislation on assistance to improve the protection and sustainable management of forest ecosystems provides for aid to reinforce forest ecosystems by horse or cable logging of naturally felled forests.

Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature and Forest Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).

Who is concerned

Any owner of forest land.

Where forest land is jointly owned by multiple natural or legal persons, the aid will be granted only once.


Those who own more than 20 hectares of forest must provide the government administration department with a valid document relating to planned forestry activities:

  • which applies to all their forest holdings; and
  • has been approved by the government administration.

The forest lands in question must be in a listed green zone. The following are ineligible:

  • lands on which pesticides are used; or
  • lands on which:
    • groundworks that harm the soil structure are carried out; or
    • drainage works or fertilisation are carried out.

For horse logging, the minimum amount of wood removed must be 30 m3 per forest administrative zone (triage), or within a 10 km radius, unless the logging is taking place as part of initial selective clearing for which financial support has been granted.

For cable logging, the minimum amount of wood required in order to be eligible for aid is 50 m3 within the same forest stand, unless the logging is taking place as part of initial selective clearing for which financial support has been granted.


Applications must be submitted prior to the commencement of any work.

How to proceed

Filing an application

When filing the application with the head of the district concerned, applicants must state the following on the form (available under 'Forms / Online services' below):

  • their surname and first name;
  • their address;
  • their telephone number;
  • their banking institution and account number;
  • their national identification number;
  • the total area of forest land;
  • information about the area in question: commune, section, locality, cadastral number, cadastral surface, surface area affected by the project, volume of wood to be removed.

If the applicant owns a farm, they must also specify:

  • the farm holding number;
  • the farm accident insurance number.

Supporting documents

The application must be accompanied by the following:

  • a topographic map (scale 1:10,000) with site location;
  • an extract of a cadastral map (scale 1:2,500) for the plots in question.


The head of the district will inform the applicant of the Nature and Forest Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.

Amount of aid

The amount of aid is set at:

  • for horse logging:
    • EUR 16 per m3;
    • the aid is increased by EUR 10 per m³ for manual cutting;
    • the aid is increased by 25 % for projects carried out by a group of at least 2 owners on forest land:
      • covering a minimum cumulative quantity of 50 m³; and
      • located within a single area of woodland;
  • for cable logging:
    • EUR 30 per m3;
    • the aid is increased by 25 % for projects carried out by a group of at least 2 owners on forest land:
      • covering a minimum cumulative quantity of 80 m³; and
      • located within a single area of woodland.

The aid will also be increased by 25 % if the measures are taken:

  • on woodlands in a listed protected zone defined by law; and
  • in accordance with the measures outlined in the forest management plans enacted by ministerial decree.


Applicants wishing to obtain the subsidy for horse logging must:

  • develop a system of logging tracks, with tracks of no more than 4 metres wide, and at least 40 metres between the tracks;
  • mark out the logging tracks within a forest stand, clearly and permanently, before work commences;
  • use horses to haul the wood to the tracks, so that the lumber can be taken away and dealt with from that point on;
  • leave tree crowns and cut branches where they fall, except in the case of horse logging on ground with more than a 12 % gradient;
  • not drive wood-hauling tractors beyond the dedicated tracks.

Applicants wishing to obtain the subsidy for cable logging must:

  • use the cable system to haul the wood to the end tower installed on a forest road or a logging track, where the lumber is taken away for subsequent processing;
  • leave branches from the crown less than 7 cm in diameter on the ground around the cut site;
  • not drive wood hauling tractors or other mechanised equipment on the ground around the cut site.

Repayment of aid

Any aid paid out must be repaid to the State Treasury when:

  • it was obtained through knowingly false or incomplete representations on the part of the applicant;
  • the beneficiary has failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary will also be required to pay interest at the legal rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.

If a false declaration is found to have been made through gross negligence or through failure to adhere to the principles of good forestry practices, the beneficiary is precluded from receiving aid for the year in question.

If they make a deliberate misrepresentation, they are excluded for the following year as well.

Forms / Online services

Demande d'aide pour le renforcement de l'écosystème forestier par le débardage à l'aide du cheval ou le débardage à l'aide du téléphérage

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Förderantrag zwecks Subventionierung von Forstarbeiten – Holzrücken mit Pferd, Holzrücken mit Seilkran

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update