Legislation on assistance to improve the protection and sustainable management of forest ecosystems provides for aid to reinforce forest ecosystems by horse or cable logging.
Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with competent jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature Conservation Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).
Who is concerned
Anyone wishing to receive aid to reinforce the forest ecosystem through timber hauling or cable logging must submit their application to the head of the district concerned.
The forest land in question must be in a designated green zone. Areas where pesticides are used or where ground work has been done which degrades the soil structure (e.g. tilling and stump removal) are ineligible.
The minimum amount of wood is 50m3, unless the logging is carried out as part of a subsidised initial clearance programme.
The applicant must submit the application to the head of the district before work commences.
How to proceed
Filing an application
When submitting an application, the applicant must indicate on the form:
- their surname and first name;
- their address;
- their telephone number;
- their banking institution and account number;
- their national identification number;
- the total area of forest land affected by the project;
- information about the area in question (commune, section, locality, land registry plot number, cadastral surface, processed surface area and volume of wood to be removed).
If the applicant owns a farm, they must also specify:
- the farm holding number;
- the farm accident insurance number.
The application must be accompanied by the following:
- a topographic map (scale 1:10,000) with site location;
- a cadastral extract of the plots concerned.
The head of the district will inform the applicant of the Nature Conservation Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.
Amount of aid
The amount of aid is set at:
- EUR 16 per m3 for horse logging;
- EUR 25 per m3 for cable logging.
These amounts are increased by 25 % for work carried out by a group of owners on forest land totalling at least 1ha, situated in the same forest.
Applicants wishing to obtain the subsidy for horse logging must:
- develop a system of logging tracks, with tracks of no more than 4 metres wide, and at least 30 metres between the tracks;
- use horses to haul the wood to the tracks, so that the lumber can be taken away and dealt with from that point on;
- leave the tree crowns and cut branches on the ground around the cut site;
- not drive wood hauling tractors beyond the dedicated tracks.
Applicants wishing to obtain the subsidy for cable logging must:
- use the cable system to haul the wood to the end tower installed on a forest road or a logging track, where the lumber is taken away for subsequent processing;
- leave branches from the crown less than 5cm in diameter on the ground around the cut site;
- not drive wood hauling tractors or other mechanised equipment on the ground around the cut site.
Repayment of aid
Any aid paid out must be repaid to the State Treasury when:
- it was obtained by means of knowingly false or incomplete representations on the part of the applicant;
- the beneficiary has failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary must also pay interest on the amount given, at the legal base rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.
If a false declaration is found to have been made through gross negligence or through failure to adhere to the principles of good forestry practices, the beneficiary is precluded from receiving aid for the year in question.
If they make a deliberate misrepresentation, they are excluded for the following year as well.
Forms / Online services
Demande d'aide pour le renforcement de l'écosystème forestier par le débardage à l'aide du cheval ou le débardage à l'aide du téléphérage
Förderantrag zwecks Subventionierung von Forstarbeiten - Holzrücken mir Pferd, Holzrücken mit Seilkran