The legislation on aid for improving the protection and sustainable management of forest ecosystems provides for aid to preserve the forest ecosystem through protection measures such as the erection of enclosures, wooden fencing, individual protection or devices to monitor big-game pressure.
Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with competent jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature and Forest Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).
Who is concerned
Anyone wishing to apply for aid for protection works and/or measures to monitor big-game pressure.
The aid for protection work is only applicable to plantations or areas of natural regeneration of hardwood or softwood trees other than spruce and pine.
The following conditions must be met:
- the property must be in a listed green zone; this requirement precludes areas in which:
- pesticides are used; or
- groundwork is carried out which degrades the soil structure (tilling and stump removal);
- the installations must protect plantations or areas of natural regeneration of hardwood or softwood trees other than spruce and pine. An enclosure may be erected prior to the natural regeneration, only if:
- significant fruiting is seen;
- the old forest stand has been prepared to accommodate the regenerated natural growth;
- an enclosure must be at least 250 metres long. The length may be reduced to 100 metres in the case of natural regeneration or clustered reforestation;
- the maximum surface area that may be enclosed as one unit is 1 ha. Adjacent enclosures must be separated by a non-enclosed corridor at least 25 metres wide;
- the minimum number of individual protections is 100 units, but the cost of those units must not exceed the cost of installing a continuous enclosure.
Applications must be lodged before any work begins.
How to proceed
Filing an application
Applications must be filed with the head of the district concerned. On the application form, the applicant must specify:
- their surname and first name;
- their address;
- their telephone number;
- their banking institution and account number;
- their national identification number;
- the total area of forest land affected by the project;
- information about the area in question: commune, section, locality, land registry plot number, cadastral surface, length of the enclosure/wooden fencing, number of individual protection units/monitoring devices.
If the applicant owns a farm, they must also specify:
- the farm holding number;
- the farm accident insurance number.
The application must be accompanied by the following:
- a topographic map (scale 1:10,000) showing the location of the site;
- a cadastral extract of the plots concerned;
- a copy of the offer/receipted invoice;
- a certificate attesting to force majeure circumstances in case of a windthrow event or bark beetle infestation
The head of the district concerned will inform the applicant of the Nature and Forest Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.
Amount of aid
The amount of the aid is set as follows:
- EUR 5 per metre for enclosures of between 1.5 and 1.8 metres in length;
- EUR 6 per metre for enclosures of 2 metres in length;
- EUR 8 per metre for wooden lattice enclosures;
- 50 % of the total cost for individual protection, including costs of installation work and costs of stakes;
- EUR 400 for the installation of a device to monitor big-game pressure.
The amount of such aid (excluding the aid for the installation of a device to monitor big-game pressure) may be doubled for works to protect trees from damage by big game animals in the wake of a windthrow event or bark beetle infestation.
In this case, the maximum amount of aid is the actual cost of installation of the enclosure or protections for individual trees. The applicant must obtain a certificate from the administration attesting to the damage caused by the windthrow event or bark beetle infestation, and that the damage was due to force majeure circumstances. Such a certificate can also be obtained from the competent district authorities. In addition, the minister must declare the circumstances a natural disaster.
The beneficiary must:
- regularly maintain the enclosures and individual protections;
- allow the authorities access to the big-game monitoring device for monitoring purposes. The big-game pressure monitoring devices must be installed in accordance with the administration's guidelines, and there must be no more than 1 unit per 100 ha of forest, regardless of who owns the land;
- remove the enclosure when the forest stand reaches a height of 1.5 metres, unless deer are found in the vicinity, and in any case, as soon as it no longer serves its purpose. If recipients fail to comply with this requirement, they will need to pay back the aid in full.
Repayment of aid
The beneficiary will be required to repay the aid received if:
- it was obtained by means of false or incomplete statements;
- they have failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary will also be required to pay interest at the legal rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.
For the year in question, the beneficiary will also be precluded from receiving any aid for improving the protection and sustainable management of forest ecosystems in the event of:
- a false declaration due to gross negligence; or
- failure to abide by the principles of best forestry practices.
If they make a deliberate misrepresentation, they will also be excluded for the following year.
If their application is denied, or if they are required to repay any aid received, the applicant may appeal the administrative decision by the usual means of appeal (non-contentious appeal, legal appeal), provided they observe the legal limitation periods.
It is also possible to lodge an appeal with the Ombudsman.
Forms / Online services
Demande d'aide pour la préservation de l'écosystème forestier par des travaux de protection, dispositif de contrôle de la pression du grand gibier
Förderantrag zwecks Subventionierung von Pflanzenschutzmaßnahmen, Weisergatter
Who to contact