The legislation on aid for improving the protection and sustainable management of forest ecosystems provides for aid to preserve the forest ecosystem through protection measures such as the installation of fencing, wooden trellis, individual protection or devices to monitor big-game pressure.
Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with competent jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature Conservation Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).
Who is concerned
Anyone wishing to receive aid for protection work and/or devices to monitor big-game pressure must submit their application to the head of the district concerned.
The aid for protection work is only applicable to plantations or areas of natural regeneration of hardwood or softwood trees other than spruce and pine.
In order to be eligible for the aid, the following conditions must be met:
- the forest land in question must be in a designated green zone. Areas where pesticides are used or where ground work has been done which degrades the soil structure (e.g. tilling and stump removal) are ineligible;
- the installations must protect plantations or areas of natural regeneration of hardwood or softwood trees other than spruce and pine. An enclosure may be erected prior to natural regeneration only if widespread fruiting is noted, and if the old forest stand has been prepared to allow for the regeneration;
- an enclosure must be at least 250 metres long. The length may be reduced to 100 metres in the case of natural regeneration or clustered reforestation;
- the maximum surface area that may be enclosed as one unit is 1ha. Adjacent enclosures must be separated by a non-enclosed corridor at least 25 metres wide;
- the minimum number of individual protections is 100 units, but the cost of those units must not exceed the cost of installing a continuous enclosure.
The application must be submitted to the head of the district before work commences.
How to proceed
Filing an application
When submitting an application, the applicant must indicate on the form:
- their surname and first name;
- their address;
- their telephone number;
- their banking institution and account number;
- their national identification number;
- the total area of forest land affected by the project;
- information about the area in question (commune, section, locality, land registry plot number, cadastral surface), length of the enclosure/wooden trellis, number of individual protection units/control devices).
If the applicant owns a farm, they must also specify:
- the farm holding number;
- the farm accident insurance number.
The application must be accompanied by the following:
- a topographic map (scale 1:10,000) with site location;
- a cadastral extract of the plots concerned;
- a copy of the quote/receipted invoice for the individual protections.
The head of the district will inform the applicant of the Nature Conservation Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.
Amount of aid
The amount of the aid is fixed as follows:
- EUR 5 per metre for enclosures of between 1.5 and 1.8 metres;
- EUR 6 per metre for enclosures measuring 2 metres;
- EUR 8 per metre for wooden trellises;
- 50% of the total cost for individual protection, including costs of installation work and costs of stakes;
- EUR 400 for the installation of a device to monitor big-game pressure.
The beneficiary must:
- regularly maintain the enclosures and individual protections;
- allow the authorities access to the device to monitor big-game pressure so they can monitor the situation. The devices must be installed in accordance with the administration's recommendation, and there must be no more than 1 unit per 100ha of forest, irrespective of land ownership;
- remove the enclosure when the forest stand reaches a height of 1.5 metres, unless deer are found to be present in the vicinity, and in any case, as soon as it no longer serves its purpose. If recipients fail to comply with this requirement, they will need to pay back the subsidy in full.
Repayment of aid
Any aid paid out must be repaid to the State Treasury when:
- it was obtained by means of knowingly false or incomplete representations on the part of the applicant;
- the beneficiary has failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary must also pay interest on the amount given, at the legal base rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.
If a false declaration is found to have been made through gross negligence or through failure to adhere to the principles of good forestry practices, the beneficiary is precluded from receiving aid for the year in question.
If they make a deliberate misrepresentation, they are excluded for the following year as well.
Forms / Online services
Demande d'aide pour la préservation de l'écosystème forestier par des travaux de protection, dispositif de contrôle de la pression du grand gibier
Förderantrag zwecks Subventionierung von Forstarbeiten – Pflanzenschutzmaßnahmen, Weisergatter