Last update 20.09.2018
Legislation on aid for the planning and transfer of knowledge in the fields of forestry and biology provides for aid for the improvement and development of forest structure, planning and infrastructure.
Applicants must submit their application to the district authority with competent jurisdiction, which will notify them of the decision of the Nature Conservation Agency (Administration de la nature et des forêts).
Who is concerned
Anyone wishing to receive aid for the building and consolidation of forest roads, log-hauling trails and development of storage facilities must apply to the head of the district concerned.
Growth clusters are not subsidised; nor is normal maintenance work.
To benefit from the aid, the applicant must confirm that the length of the planned forest roads exceeds 250 metres.
The length can be reduced to 100 metres, provided the stretch of road to be built is part of a system of forest roads at least 250 metres long, in the context of:
- a development plan;
- a basic management plan; or
- a special plan to which the relevant property owners have signed up.
The gradient on forest roads may be no greater than 10 %.
Such trails must be at least 100 metres in length.
The application must be submitted to the head of the district before work commences.
How to proceed
Filing an application
When filing their application, the applicant must specify the following on the form:
- their surname and first name;
- their address;
- their telephone number;
- their banking institution and account number;
- their national identification number;
- the total area of the forest property;
- information about the area in question (commune, section, locality, land registry plot number, cadastral surface).
If the applicant owns a farm, they must also specify:
- the farm holding number;
- the farm accident insurance number.
The application must be accompanied by the following:
- a topographical map (scale 1:10,000) showing the route of the forest road;
- a cadastral extract of the plots concerned;
- a copy of the approved proposal;
- a copy of the requisite permit.
Owners possessing over 20ha of forest land must submit a current forestry planning document along with their application.
Once the work has been completed, a copy of the receipted invoice must also be provided.
The head of the district will inform the applicant of the Nature Conservation Agency's decision, and the measures to be taken to receive a subsidy.
Amount of aid
The aid covers up to 80 % of the total cost or of the duly accepted quote, if the quote is less than the total cost (including VAT).
The beneficiary is required to carry out regular maintenance of the infrastructure for which the subsidy is granted.
Repayment of aid
Any aid paid out must be repaid to the State Treasury when:
- it was obtained by means of knowingly false or incomplete representations on the part of the applicant;
- the beneficiary has failed to comply with the conditions to which the granting of the aid was subject. In that event, the beneficiary must also pay interest on the amount given, at the legal base rate, calculated as from the day of payment to the day of repayment.
If a false declaration is found to have been made through gross negligence or through failure to adhere to the principles of good forestry practices, the beneficiary is precluded from receiving aid for the year in question.
If they make a deliberate misrepresentation, they are excluded for the following year as well.