A pilot project within the framework of the Additional Protocol to the Convention on the Contract for the International Carriage of Goods by Road authorises electronic consignment notes for the transportation of goods within the Benelux countries for a period of 3 years.
IT service providers should submit a request to the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works (Ministère de la Mobilité et des Travaux publics) to become accredited to supply electronic consignment notes.
Who is concerned
IT service providers are eligible for this accreditation.
To become accredited, IT service providers supplying electronic consignment notes must conduct a business activity in Luxembourg.
IT service providers should submit their applications between 1 December 2017 and 31 August 2018.
How to proceed
Filing an application
To become accredited, IT service providers must:
- fill in the appropriate form;
- send it by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) to the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works, Department of Mobility and Transport.
If the service provider has multiple branches or conducts business activities linked to the provision of information technology in multiple Benelux countries, it should file the application in only one of these countries.
IT service providers must submit the following documents with the application form:
- documents related to the company's incorporation:
- an extract from the Trade and Companies Register (Registre de commerce et des sociétés - RCS);
- an official copy of the business permit from the Ministry of the Economy;
- a recent extract from the register of criminal records for companies for the applicant service provider, or the recent criminal records of individuals legally authorised to represent the company;
- the service provider's last 3 balance sheets;
- any documents relating to the proposed technical solution:
- a brief and clear presentation of the functioning of the electronic consignment note showing that the procedures referred to in the law are fulfilled (steps of the procedure, signature method, data retention, etc.);
- a brief description of the software used and the means to ensure the security and authenticity of the electronic consignment note in order to avoid fraud;
- the model (with unique number) of the electronic consignment note submitted to the supervisory authorities;
- a description of the checks of the electronic consignment note on the road (legibility, authenticity, etc.);
- a description of how access to and verification of the application will be granted to the controllers and the supplier's customers.
The supplier will be informed in writing of the approval or refusal of his participation in the pilot project within 3 months of the submission of the request.
After approval, suppliers can make their technology available to shippers and transport companies, enabling them to use the electronic consignment note (e-CMR) instead of the paper version.
Suppliers must notify the Department of Mobility and Transport of the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works of any notifications to the system at least once every 3 months.
Suppliers must also maintain a list of electronic consignments made using their technology. This list must include, for each consignment note:
- the number and date of issue;
- the names and addresses of the users.
It must be communicated at least every 3 months to Ministry of Mobility and Public Works and the VAT authority.
Suppliers are excluded when their technology no longer meets the conditions of the Benelux Decision and/or the protocol:
- the electronic consignment note no longer contains the same information as the paper consignment note;
- the process used for the establishment of the note no longer guarantees the integrity of the information contained in it (full and unaltered indications) from the moment when it was drawn up for the first time in its final form;
- the information contained in the note can no longer be supplemented or modified.
Forms / Online services
Demande d'agrément comme fournisseur de services informatiques pour la lettre de voiture électronique
Who to contact
Department of Mobility and Transport4, Place de l'Europe
Postal address :
Phone : (+352) 247 84 400Fax : (+352) 22 85 68, e-CMR : (+352) 22 54 30