Financial aid for congress tourism aims to encourage the organisation of congresses or similar events (seminars, conferences, etc.) in order to:
- contribute to the promotion of Luxembourg as a prime destination for congresses;
- increase local economic benefits.
The subsidies are granted by the General Directorate for Tourism at the Ministry of the Economy.
Who is concerned
The following can benefit from the subsidy scheme:
- private associations;
- public establishments;
- international organisations or institutions.
The following events are eligible for financial aid:
- or any other similar event in a business context.
In order to benefit from financial aid, the events have to fulfil all the following conditions:
- there must be at least 75 participants;
- there must be at least 75 overnight stays booked in Luxembourg hotels;
Place and accommodation
The event must take place in Luxembourg and participants from abroad must be accommodated in Luxembourg.
Events whose content or theme is likely to have a negative impact on Luxembourg's image are ineligible.
Each application for financial aid for congress tourism must be submitted at the latest 6 weeks prior to the event.
Where the application is approved by the Ministry of the Economy, the organisers are invited to submit the following within 3 months after the event at the latest:
- an activity report;
- a financial report;
- a statement of overnight stays in hotels within the framework of the event;
- and the paid invoices for the tourism framework programme.
The final amount of financial aid granted is calculated and paid depending on the documents submitted.
How to proceed
Filing an application
Applicants have to submit a duly completed application for financial aid for congress tourism (demande de subvention pour tourisme de congrès) to the General Directorate for Tourism at the Ministry of the Economy.
Applications must be accompanied by:
- a presentation of the project with the following information:
- the organiser of the event;
- the event profile: concept, target audience, objectives, provisional programme, speakers, number of participants;
- descriptions and estimates:
- economic benefits for the event destination;
- impact on the sector concerned (know-how, networking, etc.);
- media coverage and/or impact on the image of Luxembourg;
- the project's financing plan, i.e.:
- a detailed provisional budget concerning income and expenses;
- planned or granted co-financing measures.
Amount of financial support
Flat-rate aid per overnight stay for paid commercial accommodation in Luxembourg
A flat-rate aid of EUR 25 per overnight stay for paid commercial accommodation in Luxembourg will be granted to events that take place:
- between 1 March and 14 July;
- between 16 September and 31 December.
The amount of aid is limited to EUR 20,000
In order to encourage congress tourism during off-peak periods in the year and to contribute to a better occupancy rate for congresses and the accommodation sector, a flat-rate aid of EUR 35 per overnight stay in a Luxembourg hotel will be granted to events which take place:
- between 15 July and 15 September;
- between 1 January and 28 February.
The amount of aid is limited to EUR 25,000.
In order to encourage congresses in rural areas, a flat-rate aid of EUR 35 per registered overnight stay will be applied throughout the year irrespective of the season.
Congresses that exceed 1,500 overnight stays in Luxembourg hotels may benefit from an additional flat-rate aid of EUR 10,000.
Aid through tourism framework programmes
Within the framework of tourism programmes, the following costs will be reimbursed up to a limit of 50 % at the most:
- costs for hiring certified tour guides;
- transport expenses (e.g. bus rental).
Maximum amount of aid
The total amount of aid can never exceed 25 % of the total costs incurred by the congress organiser.
|Luxembourg City||Rural area|
|Event date||01/03-14.07 and
|Flat-rate aid per registered overnight stay for paid commercial accommodation in Luxembourg||EUR 25 per overnight stay
maximum EUR 20,000
|EUR 35 per overnight stay
maximum EUR 25,000
|EUR 35 per overnight stay
maximum EUR 25,000
|Aid through tourism framework programmes||50 % of true expenses for tour guides and transportation (maximum EUR 2,500)|
|Total amount of aid (A+B) is limited to:||EUR 20,000||EUR 25,000||EUR 25,000|
|Additional aid beyond 1,500 overnight stays||EUR 10,000||EUR 10,000||EUR 10,000|
|Maximum amount of aid||25 % of costs incurred||25 % of costs incurred||25 % of costs incurred|
Forms / Online services
Who to contact
General Directorate for Tourism - subsidies for congress tourism19-21, boulevard Royal
BP 86, L-2937
Phone : (+352) 247 84748Fax : (+352) 47 40 11