In the context of the Covid-19 crisis, the General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (Direction générale des classes moyennes) has set up an emergency fund to support the self-employed.
The purpose of this measure is to provide financial support, in the form of a certified tax-free emergency allowance for self-employed traders, craftsmen and intellectual workers as well as for managing partners holding a business permit (autorisation d’établissement).
The allowance is in the form of a single flat-rate cash payment of EUR 2,500
It is only available to people:
- whose main activity is as a self-employed person, and
- who are registered as such with the Luxembourg social security scheme.
This aid may not be cumulated with the certified emergency allowance established by the Grand-Ducal Regulation of 25 March 2020 to help commercial or artisan businesses, whether they are operated as an individual undertaking or a company, unable to carry out their activities because of the restrictions an prohibitions it has been necessary to impose in the context of curbing the spread of Covid-19.
Who is concerned
"Self-employed worker" means any person who mainly
- carries out on his/her own behalf:
- a professional activity within the scope of the Chamber of Skilled Trades and Crafts or the Chamber of Commerce; or
- a professional activity that is mainly intellectual and non-commercial;
- holds more than 25 % of the company shares of a société en nom collectif, a société en commandite simple or a société à responsabilité limitée having as its object one of the activities listed above and holds a business permit issued in accordance with the relevant legislation
- is a director, general partner or authorised representative delegated to carry out the day-to-day management of a société anonyme, a société en commandite par actions or a société coopérative having as its object one of the activities listed above and holds a business permit issued in accordance with the relevant legislation.
Some persons may be considered to be self-employed:
- childminders (assistant parental) meeting the following conditions:
- they have obtained governmental accreditation;
- they are recognised as being a service provider under the childcare service voucher scheme (CSA);
- they received, during the period of suspension of activities, a state contribution through the childcare service voucher scheme which is less than 70 % of the total amount resulting from the application of the maximum state aid to the total number of weekly hours of childcare, as defined in the education and childcare contracts signed before the date of suspension of childcare activities due to the Covid-19 pandemic, for all the children cared for;
- childminders who have obtained governmental accreditation but who are not recognised as being a service provider under the childcare service voucher scheme (CSA); ;
The allowance may not be cumulated with the allowance provided for by the establishment of an emergency fund to help very small undertakings that the self-employed worker may be entitled to receive in his/her capacity as a trader or craftsman or as the effective beneficiary of a commercial or artisan business.
Applicants who have applied for this aid must wait for the decision on their application.
The allowance can only be paid if all the following 5 conditions are met:
- the self-employed worker was registered with the CCSS in that capacity on 15 March 2020;
- he/she holds all the authorisations and approvals necessary for carrying out the activity as a self-employed worker;
- the self-employed worker's professional income used as the basis for calculating their social contributions for 2019 plus any pensions paid by a pension insurance body, where applicable, must not exceed the sum of 2.5 times the social minimum wage (EUR 5,354.98 per month or EUR 64,259.70 per year);
- the self-employed worker employs fewer than 10 people;
- the self-employed worker is experiencing temporary financial difficulties directly caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
How to proceed
Filing an application
The self-employed worker, or their representative agent (e.g. a fiduciary), can submit the application using an online assistant available in their business eSpace on MyGuichet.lu.
All communications in relation with a submitted application must be made using MyGuichet.lu.
The applicant needs a LuxTrust product (e.g. token, smartcard or signing stick) or an electronic identity card.
How to use MyGuichet.lu?
There are 3 possible scenarios:
- The person submitting the application is a new user on MyGuichet.lu and does not yet have a private eSpace:
The creation of the eSpace is done in 2 steps:
- Registration of a user;
- Creation of a business eSpace.
A tutorial in video or PDF format is available to guide you.
- The person submitting the application is a user of MyGuichet.lu and already has a private eSpace: he or she will have to create a new business eSpace.
A tutorial in video or PDF format is available to guide you.
- The person submitting the application already has a business eSpace: the existing business eSpace can be used.
Consult the MyGuichet.lu help section.
Amount of aid
The amount of the aid is EUR 2,500.
Repayment of the aid is not required.
Payment of aid
The aid takes the form of a subsidy.
Several documents must be attached to the application:
- a bank account identification document.
- a document indicating the base used for assessing social contributions, plus a pension certificate if appropriate, for 2019.
The aid application must be made via the corresponding MyGuichet.lu assistant and must contain all the following mandatory information:
- information about the applicant: self-employed worker / company;
- the national identification number (matricule) of the self-employed worker/company;
- an exact description of the activity;
- the applicant's bank details (the account must be in the applicant's name);
- the number of staff in full-time positions;
- the consent given to the General Directorate for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises to verify the accuracy of the information provided with the Joint Social Security Centre, the Luxembourg Inland Revenue and the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority;
- a signed declaration of honour on the accuracy of the information provided.
Forms / Online services
Notice to users of the Google Chrome browser version 80: there are currently problems with the electronic signature of MyGuichet.lu forms if you use this browser. Please switch to another browser to complete your online process.
Thank you for your understanding
Demande pour l'obtention d'une aide financière d'urgence pour travailleurs indépendants en difficulté financière temporaire dans le cadre de la crise Covid-19
Who to contact