Accreditation of prior experiential learning (validation des acquis de l'expérience – VAE) offers formal recognition of skills acquired throughout life by granting a corresponding certificate, diploma or other degree.
Specifically, accreditation can provide access to:
- secondary technical education diplomas or master craftsman's certificates;
- higher education diplomas and degrees (Bachelor, Master, etc.) or the advanced technician's certificate (brevet de technicien supérieur – BTS);
- diplomas obtained in evening classes organised by the Luxembourg Lifelong Learning Center (LLLC).
Diplomas or course units awarded through accreditation of prior experiential learning have equal value to those obtained through initial education.
For continuing vocational training certificates in evening classes, applicants must submit their application for accreditation of prior experiential learning to the Luxembourg Lifelong Learning Center.
Who is concerned
Anyone may apply for accreditation of prior experiential learning.
Certificates and diplomas obtained through accreditation demonstrate their holders have the skills required to:
- register for specific training courses;
- access certain professions.
Before submitting the application, candidates should review the training profiles and contact the Luxembourg Lifelong Learning Center to find out about the assessment criteria for the training course they have in mind.
Any professional activity (on an employed or self-employed basis) or extra-professional activity (association, voluntary work, etc.) may be used as the basis for accreditation of prior experiential learning.
The skills and knowledge acquired must relate to the specific training course. The skills may be acquired:
- through formal learning in an educational or training establishment or in the workplace;
- through informal learning as part of an activity which contains a significant training portion;
- through informal learning by carrying out activities related to work, family or leisure.
In principle, applicants must demonstrate at least 3 years of experience in a field that relates to the training course they are interested in.
The LLLC holds 2 sessions of accreditation of prior experiential learning per year:
- in January/February;
- in June/July.
Accreditation of prior experiential learning by the Luxembourg Lifelong Learning Center costs EUR 150.
How to proceed
Submitting the application for accreditation of prior experiential learning
To apply for accreditation of prior experiential learning in order to obtain a diploma that corresponds to one of the training profiles offered in evening classes, candidates must send an application to the Luxembourg Lifelong Learning Center.
The application must include:
- copies of documents showing the applicant's education history and continuing vocational training history (diplomas, certificates, etc.);
- copies of documents demonstrating 3 years of professional or extra-professional activity related to the requested diploma (employment certificates, employment contracts, CCSS certificate, etc.).
Accreditation of prior experiential learning
The LLLC committee analyses the application and, as applicable:
- interviews the candidate;
- sets up an additional test (in writing, oral, role play, etc.).
After deliberation, the committee decides:
- either to grant the diploma requested;
- or to only partially validate the diploma and to request the applicant to take additional examinations within 5 years in order to be awarded the diploma.
Forms / Online services
Validation des acquis de l'expérience équivalents aux cours du soir du Luxembourg Lifelong Learning Center
Démarche en ligne
Who to contact
Luxembourg Lifelong Learning Center2-4, rue Pierre Hentges
Fax : (+352) 2749 4650Mon.-Fri. from 8.00 to 18.00