Accreditation of prior experiential learning (validation des acquis de l'expérience - VAE) offers formal recognition of skills acquired throughout life by granting a corresponding certificate, diploma or other qualification.
- certificate of vocational ability (certificat de capacité professionnelle - CCP);
- vocational aptitude diploma (diplôme d'aptitude professionnelle - DAP);
- technician's diploma (diplôme de technicien - DT);
- general secondary education diploma (diplôme de fin d'études secondaires de l'enseignement secondaire général);
- master craftsman's certificate (brevet de maîtrise de l'artisanat).
Diplomas or course units awarded through accreditation of prior experiential learning have equal value to those awarded through initial education.
For qualifications concerned, please submit the application for accreditation of prior experiential learning to the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth (Ministère de l’Education nationale, de l’Enfance et de la Jeunesse):
Who is concerned
Any person may initiate a VAE procedure if they have 5,000 hours (over at least 3 years) of professional experience in the field related to the qualification in question.
Certificates and diplomas obtained through accreditation demonstrate their holders have the skills required to:
- register for specific training courses;
- access certain professions.
Before submitting their application, candidates must contact the training institution for the relevant general secondary education diploma or the master craftsman's certificate to find out about the assessment criteria.
Any professional activity (on an employed or self-employed basis) or extra-professional activity (association, voluntary work, etc.) may be used as the basis for accreditation of prior experiential learning.
The skills and knowledge acquired must relate to the specific qualification.
Applications for accreditation of prior experiential learning must include payment of an administrative charge of EUR 25 to the bank account of the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority (Administration de l'enregistrement des domaines et de la TVA): IBAN LU09 1111 7026 5281 0000, BIC code: CCPLLULL, reference: 'droit de timbre, validation des acquis de l’expérience (rgd du 11 janvier 2010)' plus the applicant's surname and first name.
How to proceed
Application for admissibility
To apply for accreditation of prior experiential learning (VAE) to receive a certificate, a diploma or a master craftsman's certificate, candidates must submit an application for admissibility to the Department for Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (Cellule VAE) of the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth.
Consult the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth's policy on the protection of personal data concerning the validation of prior experiential learning.
The application must indicate the certificate, diploma or degree the applicant is seeking and contain:
- official documents, such as social security registration certificates and a copy of the employment contract (or an employment certificate or wage slips) providing evidence of periods of employment;
- for self-employed workers: a certificate of registration with the social security system and a declaration of honour mentioning the hours worked in the activity;
- for volunteer activities within associations: certificates issued by the president of the association;
- for private activities: affidavits;
- photocopies of certificates, diplomas or degrees, transcripts, certifications of course units or modules, decisions on accreditation of prior experiential learning, internship participation certificates or training completion certificates;
- a copy of the ID card;
- a proof of payment of the EUR 25 stamp duty.
Documents written in a language other than the 3 official languages of Luxembourg (Luxembourgish, French, German) must be translated by a sworn translator.
The supporting documents that are submitted are not returned to the applicant. Make sure to send only copies of documents.
Application for accreditation of the substance of the experience
If the application for admissibility is granted, the candidate must fill out a second application for accreditation of the substance.
This application details the knowledge, aptitudes and skills that relate directly to the diploma.
The deadlines for the submission of the application for accreditation of the substance for the validation sessions are communicated to the candidate by mail.
A validation commission analyses the file and deliberates on it. Where applicable it can:
- invite the candidate for an interview;
- or observe the candidate at work or in a role-play exercise.
The decision taken by the commission on the file will be communicated to the candidate by post.