In order to work as a taxi driver, applicants will need a taxi driver licence issued by the Ministry of Sustainable Development and Infrastructure (MDDI).
Who is concerned
All taxi drivers must have a taxi driver licence.
The activity of private hire drivers, i.e. the hire of a passenger car with a driver to transport persons against payment or free of charge, is not subject to a taxi driver licence in Luxembourg.
In order to provide proof of the qualifications and integrity required to work as a taxi driver, applicants must:
- have a valid driving licence for at least 2 years;
- have appropriate knowledge of at least one of the 3 administrative languages in the country (i.e. French, German, Luxembourgish);
- have a criminal record without a disqualifying sentence;
- have the certificate of participation to the information session organised by the Ministry of Sustainable Development and Infrastructure (MDDI). The information session must be taken part in every 10 years.
How to proceed
Submitting the application
Persons who wish to obtain the taxi driver licence must apply to the Taxi Office (Service des taxis) at the Ministry of Sustainable Development and Infrastructure via MyGuichet or apply by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt and attach the following documents:
- a copy of the passport, identity document, travel document or any other valid document which allows to identify the applicant;
- a copy of the certificate attesting the participation to the information session for taxi drivers organised by the Ministry of Sustainable Development and Infrastructure;
- an extract from the criminal record, no more than 3 months old;
- a copy of the driving licence for passenger cars valid for at least 2 years;
- a written and signed declaration by which the applicant provides proof of linguistic knowledge;
- a recent passport photograph, in 45/35 mm format, on paper, from the front, full face with at least 20 mm in height.
Validity of the taxi driver licence
The taxi driver licence is strictly personal and non-transferable.
It is valid for a period of 10 years and can be renewed under the same conditions under which it was granted.
Modification of the taxi driver licence or issue of a duplicate
If the data which impact the conditions for obtaining the taxi driver licence (e.g. change of name or additional languages) change, the holder must submit an application for modification to the Taxi Office.
In the case of loss or theft of the taxi driver licence, a duplicate can be issued.