Some healthcare professions, called regulated healthcare professions, can only be practiced in Luxembourg with an official licence.
This licence is delivered by the Ministry of Health.
In order to obtain it, applicants must fulfil the criteria for professional integrity and demonstrate the physical and psychological health needed for the profession.
Who is concerned
Several regulated healthcare professions require a licence, including:
- nursing auxiliary / healthcare assistant;
- social hygiene assistant;
- social worker;
- surgical assistant;
- laboratory medical / technical assistant;
- radiology medical / technical assistant;
- occupational therapist;
- anaesthetist / resuscitation nurse;
- paediatric nurse;
- nursing orderly;
- psychiatric nurse;
- laboratory worker;
- speech therapist;
- curative teacher;
- psychomotricity reeducator.
Who is concerned
A professional healthcare practitioner who wishes to settle and practise in Luxembourg must be a national of:
- an EU Member State, or;
- a State of the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway), or Switzerland, or;
- a third country, and:
Persons who have been temporarily or permanently disqualified from practising in the country in which they last practised their profession are not permitted to practise in Luxembourg either. The same applies if disqualification proceedings are currently under way.
Whatever the health profession envisaged, the professional must fulfill several conditions:
- hold a Luxembourg or foreign diploma giving him access to the profession envisaged;
- be proficient in at least one of the languages required to practise the profession in Luxembourg, i.e.:
- French; or
- understand one of the 3 administrative languages of Luxembourg (German, French and Luxembourgish).
The language knowledge of the professional in one of these 3 languages may be tested at the request of the Minister of Health.
If the diploma was not obtained in Luxembourg, the professional must request the recognition of their diploma.
For some professions, the application for recognition is to be submitted to either the Minsitry of Education, Children and Youth (MENEJ), or to the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (MESR), depending on the level of the diploma obtained by the professional. If the studies are on the level of a baccalaureate (or equivalent) or lower, the application should be sent to the MENEJ. If the studies are on an academic level (baccalaureate +), the request is to be made to the MESR.
Any person who wishes to settle in Luxembourg as a professional in one of the regulated professions presented here must pay a fee in order to obtain an authorisation to practice.
The amount of the fee is EUR 75.
The fee must be paid by direct deposit or wire transfer to the bank account of the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority (Administration de l’enregistrement, des domaines et de la TVA), along with a statement of the applicant's identity and the purpose of the payment.
Account holder: Administration de l’enregistrement, des domaines et de la TVA
Account number: IBAN LU13 1111 0011 4679 0000 (Swift code: CCPLLULL)
Communication : AUTOPROFSANTE + nom of the professional
How to proceed
Application for authorisation to practice
To practise their profession in Luxembourg, the professional must send the application for authorisation to practise the profession, completed and signed, to the Department for Healthcare professionals of the Ministry of Health, enclosing the following documents:
- a copy of a valid ID document or passport, and, for third-country nationals:
- a copy of a valid residence permit; or
- a document proving that they have been granted international protection;
- an extract from their criminal record issued by their country of residence within 6 months prior to the application (original document – photocopies will not be accepted). If the professional has been living in the country in question for less than one year, he must attach a criminal record of the country or countries in which he has practised before;
- a certificate of good mental and physical health issued by a licensed doctor (within 6 months prior to the application);
- a copy of the Luxembourgish or foreign diploma;
- if applicable, the official order confirming recognition of their diploma;
- a curriculum vitae;
- proof of payment of the EUR 75 tax;
- if the person's mother tongue is not French, German or Luxembourgish, proof of their language skills.
If the documents are not in German, French or English, a translation certified by a 'sworn translator' must be attached.
As a reminder, the health professionals' contact details are listed in the register of healthcare professions.
To this end, health professionals are required to update their contact information in the register if their situation changes (address of the medical practice, email address, phone number, etc.).
Professional reinsertion internship
If the healthcare professional has not exercised their profession for at least 5 years, they must take part in a reintegration internship before starting their activity again.
They must inform the Minister of Health of their intention to take such a course, specifying:
- the number of years of inactivity;
- the workplace and department they wish to reintegrate;
- whether or not they have participated in continuing education in the field.
The minister will provide the professional with:
- a list of accredited training sites with available places;
- the number of hours of practical training they must receive;
- a list of continuing education courses;
- the number of lesson hours the professional will have to attend.
An internship agreement must then be signed between the trainee, the training supervisor, the representative of the training centre, and the Ministry of Health.
The training supervisor must have at least 5 years of professional experience in the same profession as the professional who is following the reinsertion training course.
Particularity for healthcare assistants: healthcare assistants who graduated before 2002 must undergo a refresher course in addition to the reinsertion course.
Forms / Online services
Who to contact
Department for Healthcare Professionals, Medical Professions and ChemistsVilla Louvigny, Allée Marconi
Fax : (+352) 46 79 60