Managers of a drinking establishment can appoint an assistant manager responsible for selling alcoholic beverages in the absence of the manager.
The application for sub-management must be submitted to the 'Licensed premises department' (Service Cabaretage) of the Customs and Excise Agency.
Who is concerned
The application for sub-management must be submitted by the declared manager of the drinking establishment.
Every EU citizen, resident in Luxembourg or not, can become assistant manager in a licensed drinking establishment.
Third-country nationals (not members of the EU) must first reside in Luxembourg for at least 5 consecutive years.
How to proceed
Application for sub-management
The manager/operator of the premises must fill in an application for sub-management and have their signature legalised by presenting themself in person with the completed application form and their identity document:
- either at the communal administration or at a notary, prior to sending the application to the Licensed Premises Service of the Customs and Excise Agency;
- or directly at the 'Cabaretage' department when submitting the application.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- an extract from the police record (for the assistant manager to be appointed);
- a copy of the foreign identity card (for assistant managers who do not have the Luxembourg nationality);
- a certificate of residence for 5 years (only for third-country nationals).
Validity of the authorisation
When the sub-management is approved, the manager will receive a sub-management certificate which must be kept in the drinking establishment
The assistant manager is thereby entitled to sell alcoholic beverages in the absence of the manager.
Forms / Online services
Who to contact
Customs and Excise AgencyLicensed Premises ServiceCentre douanier Luxembourg-Howald Croix de Gasperich - 1, rue in Bouler
Postal address :
B.P. 1122 L-1011 Luxembourg
Phone : (+352) 28 18 44 88Fax : (+352) 28 18 41 50from Monday to Friday from 08.00 - 17.00