Obtaining official approval for a higher education degree earned abroad

Official approval of higher education diplomas earned abroad is only required for admittance to supplementary courses on Luxembourg law and to gain access certain legal professions.

Applications must be sent to the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche - MESR).

Who is concerned

Official approval of law degrees is required for admittance to supplementary courses on Luxembourg law.

Lawyers from another EU Member State do not need to have their diplomas approved. They can contact the Ministry of Justice directly to request authorisation to practise law in Luxembourg.


The interested party must have obtained a final law diploma abroad which must grant a higher legal education degree recognized by the country of origin.

The final diploma must provide proof of the successful completion of a full-time legal study cycle of a minimum duration of:

  • 4 years;
  • 8 semesters or;
  • 12 trimesters.

Part-time study cycles are acceptable provided that the total duration, the level and quality of this training are not inferior to full-time training.

The legal curriculum must have included the following subject areas, as a bare minimum:
  • civil law;
  • commercial law;
  • criminal law or criminal procedure;
  • private or public international law;
  • constitutional or administrative law.

It should be noted that courses in civil law must have been taught for at least:

  • 2 years;
  • 4 semesters or;
  • 6 trimesters.

Other subjects must have been taught for at least one year, 2 semesters or 3 trimesters.

The legal courses must have similar fundamental conceptions to those of the Luxembourg legal system.


Preliminary steps

The concerned party must submit a copy of his secondary school graduation diploma together with his application for approval of the higher legal education degree.

If the secondary school graduation diploma was obtained abroad (A-Level, Abitur, Baccalauréat, Bachillerato, Certificat d’enseignement secondaire supérieur, High School diploma, Maturità, Selectividad, etc.), the applicant must first request the recognition of equivalence of said diploma compared to the Luxembourg secondary school graduation diploma.


Applicants must pay a fee of EUR 125 per diploma as a contribution to the cost of processing their application for official approval.

The fee must be paid by wire transfer on the following bank account:

IBAN: LU13 1111 0011 4679 0000
Name of the beneficiary: Administration de l’enregistrement, des domaines et de la TVA
: Taxe reconnaissance des diplômes, MESR, Surname of the applicant, Date of the application

A duplicate copy costs EUR 10.

The fee is not refunded if the application is rejected.

How to proceed

Applications for approval of school certificates and higher education diplomas must be submitted to the Ministry of Higher Education and Research either by mail or in person together with the following documents:

  • a written statement on plain paper mentioning the reason for requesting the official approval;
  • a curriculum vitae;
  • a copy of the birth certificate or of an identity card (for citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland) / passport (for third country nationals);
  • a copy of the secondary school graduation diploma, i.e.:
    • either a Luxembourg secondary or secondary technical school graduation diploma;
    • or a foreign secondary school graduation diploma recognised as equivalent to the Luxembourg diploma, in accordance with Luxembourg regulations in force;
  • a copy of the higher education diploma to be approved;
  • a copy of the intermediate academic diplomas obtained if the foreign country issues them;
  • a copy of the official curriculum for each completed academic year;
  • proof of payment of the EUR 125 tax per diploma.

The documents must be drafted either in one of the 3 official languages of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg (French, Luxembourgish or German), or in English, or translated into one of these languages and certified by a sworn translator.

Who to contact

We are interested in your opinion

Please rate this page:
Last update