Secondary education students who have reached or passed the age of 20 and who are still schooled in a secondary education establishment in Luxembourg or abroad can benefit from free transportation on the entirety of the Luxembourg public transport network (train, tram and bus) on presentation of their "myCard élève".
Students residing in Luxembourg who are enrolled in a secondary education establishment abroad can also benefit from free public transport by using the "myCard pour élèves à l'étranger".
Also, all young people who actively participate in a socio-professional integration measure (work experience placement, formal or non-formal training) of the Department of Adult Education (Service de la formation des adultes - SFA) or the National Youth Service (Service national de la Jeunesse - SNJ) can benefit from a "myCard Jeunes" which entitles them to free public transport.
Young people who are enrolled in a volunteer service programme can also apply for the new card.
Free public transport is only granted up to the age of 25.
Who is concerned
Secondary school students between 20 and 25 years of age can obtain a "myCard élève" or a "myCard pour élèves à l'étranger".
Young people under the age of 25 who participate in a socio-professional integration measure of the Department of Adult Education (work experience placement, formal or non-formal training) or the National Youth Service (SNJ) can obtain a "myCard Jeunes".
How to proceed
Applying for a "myCard élève"
There are two types of cards, the "myCard élève" and the "myCard pour élèves à l'étranger". The first is issued by Luxembourg secondary schools and distributed to their students while the second is obtained after submitting an application via an online form. This form does not apply to students of the Schengen-Lycée.
When submitting an application, the student must include:
- a recent ID photograph (JPG or JPEG format);
- a scanned copy of an ID document (PDF format);
- a scanned copy of a school certificate issued by the foreign educational institution (PDF format);
- a scanned copy of a certificate proving that the future cardholder receives family benefits from the Children's Future Fund (Caisse pour l'avenir des enfants - CAE) (PDF format).
Both types of card are valid for one school year, i.e. from 1 September to 30 September of the following year in all means of public transport in Luxembourg.
To be valid as a free travel pass, the card must:
- carry the inscription "vaut pour titre de transport pour les transports publics luxembourgeois sur le trajet 2e cl" (valid for transport on the Luxembourg public transport system, 2nd class) ", and;
- indicate the school year for which it is being used.
In the case of the "myCard pour élèves à l'étranger" students must apply for a new card every year. It is valid in Luxembourg, from and to a border point.
Beyond its use as an ID and a travel pass, the card can have a number of authentication and electronic payment functions. The card is a "master key" at school. It can be used for, among others:
- loaning books from the school library;
- access to the classrooms or didactic rooms of the school;
- access to and payment for school photocopy services;
- access to the school restaurant and cafeteria;
- and so on.
Applying for a "myCard Jeunes"
Applications for a "myCard Jeunes" card can only be submitted online.
The applicant must attach a certificate of participation and an ID photo to his application.