Applying for a free public transport travel pass (free travel pass)

Under certain conditions, people with low income and applicants for international protection can apply for a free travel pass (carte de libre parcours), which allows them to travel free of charge on the entire Luxembourg public transport network (AVL, RGTR, TICE, CFL and Luxtram).

Who is concerned

The free travel pass is issued to persons who:

  • receive support from the social welfare office of the communal administration of their place of residence;
  • receive a supplement to the guaranteed minimum income;
  • family members with no income of their own, who live in the same household as the person who receives the above-mentioned benefits.

How to proceed

How to obtain a free travel pass

To obtain a free travel pass, an application must be submitted at one of the following locations:

  • AVL (Luxembourg City Bus Service) ticket offices;
  • Luxembourg National Railroad Society (Société nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois - CFL) ticket offices;
  • Intercommunal Tramway Authority for the Canton of Esch (Syndicat des Tramways Intercommunaux du Canton d'Esch - TICE) ticket offices.

The form must be certified by one of the following bodies:

  • the communal administration of the place of residence;
  • the National Solidarity Fund (Fonds national de solidarité);
  • the Luxembourg Reception and Integration Agency (Office luxembourgeois de l’accueil et de l’intégration - OLAI)

Document(s) to be provided

The documents to be provided are:

Depending on the case, a certificate is required from:

  • the social welfare office of the communal administration at the place of residence;
  • the National Solidarity Fund;
  • the Luxembourg Reception and Integration Agency (OLAI).

When the application is submitted, the applicant must be able to provide proof of their identity.


Free travel passes are:

  • non-transferable;
  • only valid for 2nd class;
  • valid only within Luxembourg (cross-border journeys are therefore excluded).

They are issued for one calendar year and valid only if:

  • they bear a special sticker showing the year for which they are to be used;
  • accompanied by an official identity document.

If they are lost or stolen, they cannot be replaced during their effective term.

The free travel card can be validated for one calendar year on the basis of a new certificate.

Forms / Online services

Demande de carte donnant droit au transport gratuit (carte de libre parcours)

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 1 Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map
Double click to activate the map