The Environment Agency (Administration de l'Environnement – AEV) grants subsidies for energy efficiency renovation projects that are limited to a single construction element of the thermal envelope. The renovation works must be:
- either carried out by an approved business;
- or overseen by an energy consultant.
The Klimabonus scheme applies to sustainable energy efficiency renovations of residential buildings older than 10 years from the date of issue of the building permit.
For energy performance assessments carried out prior to 31 December 2021, the previous PRIMe House aid scheme still applies.
Financial aid for sustainable energy efficiency renovation projects may be received concurrently with aid available for the implementation of technical installations.
This Klimabonus aid can only be granted once and only for a residential building located in Luxembourg.
Who is concerned
Any person who wishes to improve the energy performance of their residential building, that is, any:
- natural person;
- legal person established under private law;
- public legal person other than the State.
Applicants may be:
- the legal representative of a group of natural or legal persons, provided that the legal representative is part of this group;
- the person(s) who own(s) the residence, except when there is a change of ownership and the new owner of the residence and/or technical installation forgoes the aid in question for the benefit of the former owner who made the investments.
Financial aid may be sought, in particular, for:
- the insulation of roofing;
- the insulation of an external wall;
- the insulation of a ceiling slab in contact with an unheated attic;
- the insulation of a floor slab in contact with an unheated cellar, the ground or the exterior;
- the insulation of a wall in contact with the ground or an unheated zone;
- the replacement of windows.
The residential building must be older than 10 years from the date of issue of the building permit when the financial aid application is submitted.
The energy efficiency enhancement works must be:
- carried out by an approved business in accordance with the law of 21 April 1993; or
- occasionally monitoring by an approved energy consultant.
Technical requirements to be fulfilled
To be eligible for the subsidy:
- the renovated elements must not exceed certain heat transfer coefficients;
- the minimum thickness of the insulating material (performance standard III) must be complied with for all other performance standards;
- insulation materials must comply with the requirements of the Ieco12 ecological indicator.
From 1 January 2024, fossil-based insulation materials will be subsidised only if they are made from at least 50 % recycled materials;
- if the attic space is heated, the renovation of the roofing must also be associated with the replacement of the roof windows if the latter are more than 10 years old and do not meet the heat transfer coefficient criterion of 1.40 W/m2K;
- to prevent humidity due to condensation, and the ensuing problems (mold, etc.), the renovation of the windows may be subsidised, provided that:
- the exterior wall or roof of the heated attic has a heat transfer coefficient that is less than or equal to 0.85 W/m2K, 0.80 W/m2K or 0.75 W/m2K, depending on the targeted performance standard; or
- the building has a controlled mechanical ventilation system.
Requirements for enhanced construction elements
|Performance standard III||
Performance standard II ***
|Performance standard I ***|
|Minimum thickness of insulation in cm*||Maximum value of U (W/m2K)||Maximum value of U (W/m2K)|
|External wall (external insulation)||18
|External wall (internal insulation) or insulation of the internal side combined with insulation of the external side*****||8*||10 cm*||12 cm*|
|Ground-supported wall or unheated zone||12||0.22||0.15|
|Pitched or flat roof ****||20||0.13||0.10|
|Ceiling slab against unheated zone||20||0.13||0.10|
|Floor slab against unheated zone or ground or exterior||12||0.22||0.15
|Windows and French windows (glass and frame)**||0.85 W/(m2K)||0.80||0.75|
The minimum thicknesses of the thermal insulation materials shown in the table above apply to a heat conductivity of 0.035 W/(mK) for the insulation material. For other heat conductivities, the minimum thicknesses should be converted based on the actual heat conductivity of the insulation material.
* The minimum thicknesses of the thermal insulation materials shown in the table above for external walls insulated on the internal side apply to a heat conductivity of 0.040 W/(mK) for the insulation material. For other heat conductivities, the minimum thicknesses should be converted based on the actual heat conductivity of the insulation material.
** The requirements correspond to triple glazed windows and apply to a standard-size windows (1.23 m x 1.48 m). Conditions:
- either guarantee a certain heat quality of the external wall based on the targeted performance standard (Uwall ≤ 0.85 W/m2K, 0.80 W/m2K or 0.75 W/m2K);
- or have a controlled mechanical ventilation system.
*** The minimum thickness of the insulation material (performance standard III) must be complied with for all other performance standards.
**** If the loft space is heated, the renovation of the roof must include the replacement of the roof windows (if they are > 10 years old, and if UW > 1.4 W/m2K)
***** If both the internal and external sides are insulated, the insulation material applied on the external side must have a thermal resistance R of at least 2 (m2K)/W.
Some communes grant aid to supplement State aid for energy savings and renewable energies. Contact your communal administration or Klima-Agence for further information.
The minimum energy performance requirements also apply to residential buildings that are protected in the public interest, and are either fully or partially listed as national monuments.
Applications for financial aid must be filed with the Single point of contact for housing assistance (Guichet unique des aides au logement) after the end of the works and within 4 years from 31 December of the calendar year to which the invoice relates.
The invoices for the energy efficiency renovation works must be issued between 1 January 2022 and 31 December 2029 inclusive.
The first application for an agreement in principle must be submitted between 1 January 2022 and 31 December 2025 inclusive.
Applications for financial aid for liquidation must be submitted no later than 31 December 2031.
How to proceed
Applications for the grant must be filed with the Single point of contact for housing assistance (Guichet unique des aides au logement).
Prior to the works: application for the agreement in principle
Prior to commencing the energy efficiency renovation works, applicants must obtain an agreement in principle from the Single point of contact for housing assistance.
To obtain the agreement in principle, the applicant must send the following documents to the Single point of contact for housing assistance (preferably by registered post), or submit them in person:
- for private individuals: the DEPA-2022 financial aid application form for natural persons (see the section 'Forms / Online services'); or
- for legal persons: the DEPA-2022 financial aid application form for legal persons (see the section 'Forms /Online services').
The form must be accompanied by all the required supporting documents.
Once the agreement in principle has been obtained, the applicant for the Klimabonus financial aid may begin their works.
Note: If, based on the advice of the energy consultant or the approved business, the applicant changes their renovation concept after obtaining the agreement in principle, they may file an application to obtain a new agreement.
After the works: request for payment of the aid
Once the energy efficiency renovation measure has been completed, the applicant may apply for the payment of the financial aid for energy efficiency renovation. To do this, they must use the form titled 'Confirmation of energy efficiency renovation of an existing residential building' (Confirmation rénovation énergétique d’un logement existant – CONF-2022) that is specific to the refurbished element. This form is provided by the approved business or energy consultant. This form must be accompanied by supporting documents.
For the application for the agreement in principle, in addition to the DEPA-2022 financial aid application form (natural or legal person), applicants must also provide:
- the appendix form titled 'Description of the measure for the construction element' (Description de la mesure pour l’élément de construction – DESC), which indicates the planned renovation measure that is subject to the agreement in principle. This form must be duly completed and signed by:
- the approved business; or
- the energy consultant who monitors the works;
- a copy of the initial building permit for the building, or an official document certifying the age of the building;
- in the case of an extension/enlargement of the building's thermal envelope, building plans corresponding to the situation after the energy efficiency renovation works;
- a cost estimate or quote confirmed by:
- the approved business; or
- the energy consultant who monitors the works;
- if the application is for a commonhold property or a multi-unit residence:
For the aid payment application, in addition to the form titled 'Confirmation of energy efficiency renovation of an existing residential building' (Confirmation rénovation énergétique d’un logement existant – CONF-2022), applicants must also provide:
- if the applicant is a private individual: the DEPA-2022 aid application form for natural persons;
- if the applicant is a legal person: the DEPA-2022 financial aid application form for legal persons;
- copies of invoices that prove the eligible costs and proof of payment (notice of debit or invoice receipted in due and proper form). The invoices may refer to a detailed estimate, in which case the latter must be attached to the invoice.
The invoice for the occasional monitoring of the works by the energy consultant must include on-site verification of the compliance of the works.
- If the application is for a commonhold property or a multi-unit residence:
The Single point of contact for housing assistance may ask the applicant to provide any documents it deems necessary to process the file.
Amount of subsidies
The amounts are calculated based on the surface areas of the renovated elements. The area of the renovated element is multiplied by the corresponding amount shown in the table below.
|Specific financial aid (euros/m2 refurbished)|
|Refurbished construction element of the thermal envelope||Category of insulation material||Performance standard III||Performance standard II||Performance standard I|
|Element in contact with the exterior: external wall (insulated on the external side, on the internal side in combination with insulation on the external side, or insulated solely on the internal side**), pitched or flat roof, floor slab in contact with the exterior||a. fossil-based and other materials*||25||30||40|
|Element in contact with an unheated zone or the ground: ceiling slab in contact with an unheated zone, wall or floor slab in contact with the ground or an unheated zone||a. fossil-based and other materials*||15||20||30|
|Windows and French windows||50||55||60|
* materials that do not fall under the definitions of categories (b) and (c)
** for insulating material placed only on the internal side, the specific financial aid [euros/m2 refurbished] shown in the table above is reduced by 25 %; the requirement that mineral insulation material (category (b)), and eco-friendly insulation material (category (c)) be installed mechanically does not apply for insulation material placed only on the interior side.
Aid mark-up for the use of recycled materials for fossil-based and mineral insulation material
If mineral or fossil-based insulation materials made from at least 50 % recycled materials are used, a EUR 15 mark-up on the base subsidy is granted.
Aid mark-up for the use of eco-friendly insulation materials whose components are sourced from certified sustainable crops
If eco-friendly insulation materials whose components are sourced from certified sustainable crops are used, a EUR 15 mark-up on the base subsidy is granted.
Payment of financial aid
The aid is generally transferred directly to the applicant's account.
If the application for financial aid is submitted by the legal representative of a group of natural or legal persons, the aid is transferred directly to the bank account of the legal representative, who must immediately credit the bank accounts of the natural or legal persons concerned with their respective share of the aid.
A copy of these payments must be sent to the Single point of contact for housing assistance.
Repayment of aid
If the applicant has already received the aid, they may be required to return it, if:
- the applicant is found to have made inaccurate or incomplete statements in order to obtain the aid; or
- the applicant fails to provide the Single point of contact for housing assistance with the requested declaration, information or documents.
Forms / Online services
Demande d’une aide dans le cadre du PAQUET BANQUE CLIMATIQUE ET LOGEMENT DURABLE - DEPA-2022 - Personne physique
Demande d’une aide dans le cadre du PAQUET BANQUE CLIMATIQUE ET LOGEMENT DURABLE - DEPA-2022 - Personne morale
Who to contact
Ministry of HousingSingle point of contact for housing assistance11, rue de Hollerich
Phone : (+352) 8002 10 10Fax : (+352) 458 844Reception: Mon.-Fri. from 8.00 to 12.00 and from 13.30 to 16.00 – Thurs. from 8.00 to 17.30 / Telephone: Mon.-Fri. from 8.00 to 16.00