The Environment Agency (Administration de l'environnement – AEV) grants subsidies for investment projects undertaken to:
- improve the long-term sustainability of a residential building;
- implement technical installations making use of renewable energy sources.
This Klimabonus aid can only be granted once and only for a residential building located in Luxembourg. The 'residential building' may be:
- a single-family house; or
- a unit in a multi-unit residential building.
Who is concerned
This Klimabonus aid can be requested by:
- natural persons;
- legal person established under private law;
- public legal person other than the State.
You can submit your application in your capacity as:
- legal representative of a group of natural or legal persons, provided that you are a part of this group yourself;
- owner(s) of the dwelling, except when there is a change of ownership and the new owner of the dwelling and/or technical installation forgoes the aid in question for the benefit of the former owner who made the investments.
Only residential buildings – whether wholly or partially residential - for which the building permit is applied for between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2023 are eligible for aid under this financial aid scheme.
In addition, the building must satisfy certain technical criteria (see the Grand Ducal regulation of 7 April 2022).
To be eligible for Klimabonus aid for a new building project, applicants must obtain at least 60 % of the points required for the selection of 46 LENOZ sustainability criteria (Lëtzebuerger Nohaltegkeets-Zertifikat fir Wunngebaier) in each of the 'Environment', 'Building and technical installations' and 'Functionality' categories.
Depending on the type of building and the year in which the building permit was applied for, specific additional conditions must also be satisfied. These include the sustainability criteria 4.1.1 and 5.8.1, as provided for in Appendix 2 of the Grand Ducal regulation.
Applications for financial aid must be filed with the Single point of contact for housing assistance (Guichet unique des aides au logement) after the end of the works and within 4 years from 31 December of the calendar year to which the invoice relates.
Invoices must be issued between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2027 inclusive.
Applications for financial aid must be submitted no later than 31 December 2029.
How to proceed
Filing an application
Applications for the grant must be filed with the Single point of contact for housing assistance (Guichet unique des aides au logement).
The technical installations may also be eligible for financial aid for an energy performance assessment and report by an approved energy consultant. If the improvement only applies to a renewable energy-based technical installation, the subsidy will be reduced by 70 %.
You must send the following documents to the Single point of contact for housing assistance (preferably by registered letter), or submit them in person:
- if you are a natural person: the DEPA-2022 financial aid application form for natural persons (see the section 'Forms / Online services'); or
- if you represent a legal person: the DEPA-2022 financial aid application form for legal persons (see the section 'Forms /Online services').
You must attach the following documents to the application:
- the appendix form entitled 'New construction of a sustainable dwelling' (Nouvelle construction d’un logement durable - NCLD) (see the section 'Forms / Online services'), duly completed and signed;
- the appendix form entitled 'Sustainability criteria for the PRIMe House scheme' (Critères de durabilité pour le régime PRIMe House - EC-LENOZ) (see the section 'Forms / Online services'), if the 'PRIMe House - Nachweis zur Neubauförderung, basierend auf LENOZ-Kriterien' certificate generated by the LENOZ IT tool has not been issued;
- a copy of the building permit;
- an energy performance certificate;
- the construction plans, including cross-sectional and other views of the façade, illustrating the outline of the thermal envelope and the airtight envelope;
- for sustainability criteria 4.1.1 and 5.8.1 of Appendix 2;
- and for each of the other sustainability criteria you have selected, the documentary proof as required by the regulation as well as the following certificates:
- the certificate of compliance for the internal construction element (CC Constructions internes);
- the certificate of compliance for the glazed elements (CC Éléments Vitrés);
- the certificate of compliance for the opaque elements (CC Éléments Opaques);
- the company certification form (CEEN);
- the detailed and receipted invoices in connection with the requested financial aid. The invoices may refer to a detailed estimate, in which case the latter must be attached to the invoice.
If the application is for a commonhold property or multi-unit residence, you must attach:
- appendix form COLL-2022;
- a power of attorney from each owner;
- the list of the flats, specifying the energy reference area per flat, excluding the common areas.
The Single point of contact for housing assistance may ask you to provide any documents it deems necessary to process the file.
Note: If the aid is granted, the beneficiary's file may be reviewed at any time.
Amount of subsidy
The granted amounts are calculated based on the reference energy area shown on the energy performance certificate.
For a single-family house, the reference energy area is multiplied by the amount of the specific financial aid shown in the table below.
For a unit in a multi-unit residence, the reference energy area of the housing, excluding the common areas, is multiplied by the amount of the specific financial aid shown in the table below.
For dwellings for which a building permit was applied for between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2022 inclusive, the financial aid is as follows:
|Energy reference area (m2)||Financial aid (euros/m2)|
|I||up to 150||160|
|Dwelling in a multi-unit building with a reference energy area less than or equal to 1,000 m2|
|I||up to 80||140|
|II||between 80 - 120||85|
|Dwelling in a multi-unit building with a reference energy area greater than or equal to 1,000 m2|
|I||up to 80||100|
|II||between 80 - 120||55|
I: the levels of financial aid are applied up to 150 m2 of the reference energy area of a single-family house, and up to 80 m2 of the reference energy area of the dwelling, excluding common areas.
II: the levels of financial aid apply for the range of the reference energy area of the dwelling between 80 m2 and 120 m2, excluding common areas.
The financial aid shown in the table above is reduced by 20 % for new sustainable dwellings:
- for which the building permit was applied for after 1 January 2019; and
- which satisfy only 8 items in the LENOZ sustainability criterion 'Assembly and dismantling capacity' in the 'Buildings and technical installations' category (item 5.8.1 of Appendix 2 of the Grand Ducal Regulation of 23 December 2016).
The amount of aid may not exceed:
- EUR 24,000 for a single-family house;
- EUR 14,600 for a flat in a residential building.
Payment of aid
The aid is generally transferred directly to your bank account.
If you act in your capacity as a legal representative of a group of natural or legal persons, the aid is transferred directly to your bank account and you must immediately credit the bank accounts of the natural or legal persons concerned with their respective share of the aid.
A copy of these payments must be sent to the Single point of contact for housing assistance.
Repayment of aid
If you have already received the aid, you may be required to return it, if:
- you are found to have made inaccurate or incomplete statements in order to obtain the aid; or
- you fail to provide the Single point of contact for housing assistance with the requested declaration, information or documents.
Forms / Online services
Demande d’une aide dans le cadre du Paquet banque climatique et logement durable - DEPA-2022 - Personne physique
Demande d’une aide dans le cadre du Paquet banque climatique et logement durable - DEPA-2022 - Personne morale
Fiche annexe - nouvelle construction d'un logement durable (NLCD)
Fiche annexe - critères de durabilité pour le régime PRIMe House
Certificat de conformité - éléments vitrés (CC Eléments Vitrés)
Certificat de conformité - éléments opaques (CC Eléments Opaques)
Certificat de conformité - éléments de construction intérieur (CC Constructions internes)
Who to contact
Ministry of HousingSingle point of contact for housing assistance11, rue de Hollerich
Phone : (+352) 8002 10 10Fax : (+352) 458 844Reception: Reception: Thursdays by appointment only; every other weekday from 8.00 to 12.00 and 13.30 to 16.00 (no appointment necessary) / Telephone: Mon.-Fri. from 8.00 to 16.00