Applying for a building permit for the construction, transformation or demolition of a building

This document is currently being updated

Last updated more than 5 years ago

Any work for the purpose of building, renovating or demolishing a building is subject to a building permit.

Communal authorities may, however, in their own building regulations, define less drastic forms of work which do not require a building permit.

An application for a building permit must be filed with the mayor of the commune in question.

Who is concerned

Who can file an application

In principle, any natural person wishing to carry out work on a building must apply for a building permit before commencing work.

Normally, only a qualified architect may draw up the necessary plans for a building permit.

However, the services of an architect may not be required if the building permit pertains to work to transform the interior of a dwelling, and if the work in question:

  • does not affect the load-bearing structures in the building;
  • does not affect the facade or the roof.

Natural persons wishing to construct a building for their own use on a plot of land to which they own the rights do not require a permit if the cost of the construction work does not exceed EUR 6,197.34, excluding VAT, index value 100 (general index value is linked to consumer prices).

Work requiring a building permit

The following types of work, anywhere in the commune, require the approval of the mayor:

  • the erection of any kind of construction;
  • the transformation of a building (for instance, to increase the number of dwellings);
  • any change in the purpose of a building (for instance, converting a commercial property into a residential one);
  • the demolition of any construction;
  • any work involving excavation and backfilling;
  • any optical device set up for advertising purposes, whatever the subject of the advertising or the position of the device, with the exception of advertising which is only visible inside buildings.


A building permit will be granted only if the works are compliant with:

  • the general development plan and, if applicable, the draft general development plan;
  • and, where applicable, the special development plan for a new or existing development;
  • and the building, public road and site regulations.

For communes which have a general development plan under the "2011 draft" (mouture 2011) scheme, these urban planning regulations can be consulted through the "PAG-GEOPORTAIL" digital viewing interface. This tool can be used to view general development plans under the 2011 draft scheme, and the special development plans through which those general plans are implemented.

How to proceed

Filing an application/declaration

Building permit applications must be submitted to the mayor.

The content of the application file may vary from one commune to another.


Once the building permit application is approved by the mayor, he/she issues a certificate to that effect.

This certificate for the building permit:

  • must be clearly and legibly displayed by the developer at the boundaries of the work site;
  • must state that the public can view the file at the communal authority (for the period allowed for objections to be put to the administrative authorities, which is 3 months from the date when the certificate is displayed on the work site).

The issuance of the building permit is also made public on the commune's website.

Other required permits

The simple fact of having obtained a building permit does not entitle the holder to proceed with the work immediately.

Depending on the kind of work in question, it may be that other authorisations are required as well, including but not limited to:

  • roadworks permits;
  • an authorisation issued by the Ministry of Culture if the applicant intends to carry out work on a listed building (classified as a monument);
  • an authorisation issued by the Ministry of the Environment if the work will destroy any biotopes.

The technical department of the commune in question can provide building permit applicants with information as to any further permits required.

Validity period

The authorisation expires automatically if the beneficiary has not commenced the work in any significant way within one year of obtaining the permit.

The mayor, however, may extend the expiry deadline for the permit twice, for no more than one year each time, upon receipt of a written and substantiated request from the beneficiary.


Forms / Online services


Land register

Consult your ownership rights (plots and private units) in your private eSpace.

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.


Consultez vos droits de propriété (parcelles et lots privatifs) dans votre espace privé.

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.


Sehen Sie Ihre Eigentumsrechte (Parzellen und Sondereigentum) in Ihrem privaten Bereich ein.

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update