Applying for an energy performance certificate (Energiepass) for a building

Residential buildings are classified according to their energy performance.

The energy performance certificate (also known as Energiepass - energy passport) provides information on a building's calculated energy consumption and its CO2 emissions. The certificate specifies energy performance classes ranging from A (the most energy-efficient) to I (the least energy-efficient). This classification is based on the following indexes:

  • primary energy requirement;
  • heating energy requirement;
  • CO2 emissions.

The energy performance certificate (certificat de performance énergétique - CPE) for a residential building can be established by architects, consulting engineers or experts approved by the Ministry of Energy and Spatial Planning.

Who is concerned

The energy performance certificate for a residential building must be requested:

  • in the case of a new non-residential building, by the developer, future owner, or commonhold association; or
  • in the case of an extension, modification or significant remodelling of an existing residential building, by the owner or commonhold association; or
  • in the case of a change of ownership or tenancy and if an energy performance certificate does not already exist for the building in question, by the former owner or commonhold association.

An energy performance certificate must be issued for each dwelling area or unit concerned if:

  • there are one or more dwellings located in a functional (non-residential) building;
  • the residential building consists of a set of several units or is divided into several zones.


The person applying for an energy performance certificate (CPE) must pay the necessary fee for its establishment.

This costs for a CPE may vary depending on the professional it was requested from.

How to proceed

Mandatory establishment of energy performance certificates

In some cases, the establishment of an energy performance certificate is mandatory.

These cases are:

  • the new construction of a residential building for which a building permit is required;
  • the extension of a residential building;
  • a change of ownership or tenancy in an existing residential building.

An energy performance certificate may also be required in the following cases:

  • modification of an existing building (building permit is mandatory):
    • if the surface of the modified part of a building's thermal envelope exceeds by 10 % the area of ​​the building's same part (exterior walls, roof or windows, etc.). For example, if the total facade of a house is 200m2, and 40m2 of this facade is being insulated, the 10% of the total surface of the facade are exceeded;
    • if the modification has an impact on the building's energy performance;
  • substantial transformation of a residential building (without building permit):
    • if the surface of the transformation of a building's thermal envelope exceeds by 10 % the area of ​​the building's same part (exterior walls, roof or windows, etc.);
    • if the transformation has an impact on energy consumption;
  • demolition of the building:
    • if the building is sold;
    • if the building is demolished after having been sold;
    • if it has a heating system, exterior walls and a roof;
  • technical installations, if the value of the installations is greater than:
    • EUR 1,500 in the case of a single-family building;
    • EUR 3,000 for a multi-family building.

A new energy performance calculation must be performed, and a new energy performance certificate established and presented to the authority responsible for building permits (the local commune) for information purposes, if:

  • the building permit has been granted;
  • modifications likely to have an impact on the energy performance of the building are carried out while it is under construction;
  • the building permit is not modified.

Applying for an energy performance certificate

The energy performance certificate is established by residential building experts, i.e.:

Applicants may contact an expert of their choice.

All owners of a residential building receive the original copy of the energy performance certificate for their building.

In the event of a change in ownership, the original copy of the energy performance certificate must be handed over to the new owner.

In the event of a change of tenancy, a certified copy of the energy performance certificate must be provided to the new tenant.

For existing residential buildings, the certificate contains recommendations on how to improve energy performance.

Documents required for the establishment of an energy performance certificate

Certain information and documents are required in order to obtain an energy performance certificate.

When constructing a new building or extending an existing building, the applicant must attach the following (non-exhaustive list):

  • floor and facade plans for the future building/extension;
  • construction details indicating the composition of the various elements of the future building/extension envelope;
  • details of all the technical installations used for heating, hot water production, photovoltaic and ventilation installations of the future building/extension.

For an existing building, the applicant must attach the following (non-exhaustive list):

  • floor and facade plans for the building (if available);
  • construction details indicating the composition of the various elements of the building envelope (if available);
  • invoices or statements relating to thermal energy consumption (natural gas, oil, heating network, etc.) for the 3 years preceding the date of establishment of the energy performance certificate.

In the case of an existing building, an approved expert must also visit the building.

Duration of validity of the energy performance certificate

Energy performance certificates (CPE) are valid for 10 years.

The certificate's start and end date must be indicated on it.

4 years after the establishment of a CPE for a new building at the latest, the owner must complete the certificate with a measured energy expenditure index for heating and hot water.

Real estate advertising

Prospective buyers or tenants must be able to consult a building's energy performance certificate.

Commercial real estate sales and rental advertisements should therefore indicate:

  • the energy performance class (depending on the primary energy expenditure index);
  • the thermal insulation class (according to the heating energy expenditure index) of the residential building.

Forms / Online services


Land register

Consult your ownership rights (plots and private units) in your private eSpace.

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.


Consultez vos droits de propriété (parcelles et lots privatifs) dans votre espace privé.

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.


Sehen Sie Ihre Eigentumsrechte (Parzellen und Sondereigentum) in Ihrem privaten Bereich ein.

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update