Diplomas, degrees, school reports, and certificates from general and vocational secondary education obtained abroad can, in certain conditions, be recognised as equivalent qualifications.
Applications for recognition of equivalence require the payment of a fee.
Who is concerned
The recognition of education qualifications is for:
- children subject to compulsory education, arriving in Luxembourg without having completed a full level of education resulting in the award of a certificate or other school-leaving credentials in their country of origin and who wish to join the Luxembourg schooling system;
- children and adults arriving in Luxembourg without having completed a full level of education resulting in the award of a diploma, certificate or other school-leaving credentials and who wish to redo or finish this level of education;
- adults interested in ascertaining the equivalence of their education qualifications in Luxembourg in order to find employment, supplement their training and/or pursue adult learning opportunities.
No fee is payable for children who wish to receive recognition of equivalence for primary education in Luxembourg (levels 1 to 4).
Recognition of the level of study (in the absence of school-leaving credentials) to establish the extent of the student's primary education in their country of origin requires:
- copies of report cards for the past 2 school years; or
- if these report cards have been lost, a certificate of attendance signed by the head of the school.
Each application for recognition of equivalence requires the payment of a fee of EUR 75.
IBAN LU36 0019 5955 4436 2000
Name of the beneficiary: Administration de l’Enregistrement et des Domaines
Communication: Taxe reconnaissance des diplômes, MENEJ, and the name of the applicant, date of the application
The corresponding proof of payment must be included with the application. The payment of the tax is mandatory in order for the application to be processed, but does not mean that the application will be successful. For each application, the conditions of recognition of equivalence must be met.
However, no fee is payable for children who wish to receive a recognition of equivalence for primary education in Luxembourg (levels 1 to 4).
A copy of the certificate of equivalence may be issued subject to the payment of a EUR 10 tax.
How to proceed
Applications for recognition of equivalence must be submitted by post to the Diploma Recognition Department (Service de la reconnaissance des diplômes) of the Ministry of National Education, Childhood and Youth (Ministère de l’Education nationale, de l’Enfance et de la jeunesse – MEN).
Elements of the application
The application must include the following documents:
- a written statement mentioning the reason for submitting the application;
- a curriculum vitae including, among other information, the applicant’s educational background and date and place of birth;
- a photocopy of a valid identity document (identity card, passport or residence permit);
- copies of report cards for the past 2 school years (or a certificate of attendance signed by the head of the school) and, where applicable, of the school-leaving credentials obtained;
- proof of payment of the fee.
All copies of diplomas, certificates and other records as well as the photocopy of the identity document, if issued by a non-EU country, must be certified as true copies of the original documents by a competent authority (communal administration, embassy or consulate).
Translations of documents
The documents must be written either in one of the 3 official languages of Luxembourg (French, Luxembourgish or German), or in English, or translated into one of these languages by a sworn translator officially approved by the Luxembourg High Court of Justice (a list of sworn translators may be requested from the Ministry of Justice).
The translator's stamp must be affixed partly on the translation and partly on the document provided for translation. Each document must be signed by the translator. In the absence of this stamp, a document attesting to the translator’s sworn status must be included with the application (for example, a copy of the translator's registration certificate on the list of experts, translators and interpreters).
If necessary, the applicant may be asked for additional information.
Processing of the application
The applicant will receive a response between 2 and 6 weeks after receipt of an application accepted as complete by the MEN. This period starts from the date on which the application accepted as complete is received by the Diploma Recognition Department.
In the event that an application is determined to be incomplete, a letter will be sent to the applicant, indicating the missing items to be submitted in order to allow the application to be processed.
If the applicant does not submit the requested items to the MEN within a period of 3 years following receipt of that letter, the application for recognition is cancelled and a new request will need to be filed.
The applicant can, with the help of a lawyer, file a judicial appeal before the administrative tribunal in Luxembourg, against the decision taken by the MEN.
A fee of EUR 10 must be paid for each request for a duplicate of a recognition of equivalence.
IBAN: LU13 1111 0011 4679 0000
Reference: ‘Taxe reconnaissance des diplômes, MEN, [Surname of the applicant], [Date of the application]’
Forms / Online services
Request for the recognition of an educational level (Elementary and High School) without achieving a final diploma
Demande de reconnaissance d’un niveau d’études (études primaires et secondaires) sans obtention du diplôme final
Antrag auf Anerkennung einer Bildungsstufe (Grund- und Sekundarschule) ohne Abschluss
Who to contact
Ministry of Education, Children and YouthDepartment for the recognition of diplomas29, rue Aldringen
Postal address :
Phone : (+352) 247-85910Mon.-Fri. from 8.00 to 12.00 and from 13.00 to 17.00