Diplomas, certificates, school reports and certificates from general secondary, technical secondary and vocational education establishments obtained abroad, can under certain conditions be recognised as equivalent.
The Department for the Recognition of Diplomas (Service de la reconnaissance des diplômes) will determine whether the candidate's level of studies, diplomas and/or professional qualifications are recognised as equivalent to the qualification required in Luxembourg in order to access:
- certain liberal professions and professions in the commercial and craft sector;
- healthcare profession;
- and socio-educational professions (certified educator, carer).
Applications for recognition of equivalence are subject to the payment of a fee.
Who is concerned
The holder, irrespective of their nationality, may require recognition of their level of education, of the equivalence of diplomas and of the equivalence of professional qualifications acquired abroad relative to equivalent diplomas in Luxembourg in order to obtain a licence to practise one of the following in the country:
- a craft activity (qualification must be equivalent to the vocational skills certificate (CATP) / the vocational aptitude diploma (DAP) or the Master Craftsman's certificate);
- or certain commercial or liberal activities (qualification must be equivalent to the vocational skills certificate / vocational aptitude diploma).
In order to obtain the recognition of the equivalence of a secondary school graduation diploma obtained abroad (in or outside the EU), the holder can request a recognition of the diploma (secondary school graduation diploma, A-level, baccalauréat).
To obtain the recognition of a higher education (academic) diploma obtained abroad (in or outside the EU), the holder must either request the approval of his diploma or register his diploma in the register of certificates for higher education diplomas.
Health and socio-educational professions
The holder, irrespective of their nationality, must obtain the recognition of equivalence of their studies, of their diplomas and of their professional qualifications acquired abroad with respect to equivalent diplomas in Luxembourg, before applying for a licence to practise one of the following professions (non-exhaustive list):
- health professions:
- socio-educational professions: educator, carer.
The authorisation to work in a socio-educational profession can be obtained from the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas.
Professional qualifications obtained in the European Union
Professional qualifications obtained within the European Union (EU) are recognised provided that the holder is able to prove that they have:
- a formal qualification which gives access to the profession concerned in another EU Member State;
- or, if the profession is not regulated in the holder's country of origin:
- acquired one year of full-time professional experience over the past 10 years in the Member State of origin;
- a certificate of competence or a formal certificate of qualification.
The content and duration of the training course must closely match the conditions of access to the profession required in Luxembourg.
For nursing and midwifery qualifications obtained in another EU country will be recognised automatically, as the minimum training conditions have been harmonised at EU level.
Professional qualifications obtained outside of the European Union
Professional qualifications obtained outside the European Union (EU) are recognised provided that the holder is able to prove:
- a formal qualification issued by a non-EU country and which is officially recognised by another EU Member State;
- and a professional experience of 3 years in said Member State.
All applications for recognition of equivalence are subject to the payment of a tax of EUR 75 for a diploma or other. If applicable, EUR 300 shall be added to this if a compensatory measure is required (adaptation period/aptitude test).
The tax must be paid by transfer on the bank account of the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority (Administration de l'enregistrement, des domaines et de la TVA):
IBAN LU13 1111 0011 4679 0000,
BIC code: CCPLLULL
Communication: “Taxe reconnaissance des diplômes, MENJE”, [Surname of the applicant], [Date of the application]
The corresponding proof of payment must be included with the application.
The fee must be paid in order for the application to be processed, but does not guarantee that the application will be successful. For each diploma or other professional qualification submitted, the conditions for the recognition of equivalence must be met.
A copy of the certificate of equivalence may be issued, subject to the payment of a EUR 10 fee.
How to proceed
Application for recognition of level of education, qualifications or diplomas
For levels of education, diplomas or professional qualifications to be recognised as equivalents, applicants must send the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas a full application containing:
- the application for recognition of equivalence which corresponds to the profession concerned:
- a curriculum vitae (CV) in Europass format or other, indicating in particular:
- the detailed schooling curriculum;
- legitimate professional experience that can be proven by a document of a certain legal value (employment certificate, payslip, etc.) and completed internships;
- date and place of birth;
- a copy of the diplomas / certificates / school reports for the last 3 years in school;
- a copy of the work certificates concerning the professions for which the recognition is applied for;
- a copy of an identity document (ID card or passport stating the place of birth);
- proof of payment of a tax to the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority (AED) (see details under "Costs");
- for socio-educational professions: documentary evidence of the last 3 years of training;
- for third-country nationals: a copy of their valid residence permit.
All copies of documents issued by countries outside the European Union must be certified true to the original by a competent authority (communal administration, embassy or consulate).
If the documents are not in German, French or English a certified translation by a sworn translator must be attached. The translator's stamp must be affixed partly on the translation and partly on the source document. Each document must be signed by the translator.
Processing the application
The recognition of equivalence of diplomas or professional qualifications is not granted automatically (except for midwifery and nursing qualifications). It is conducted on a case-by-case basis, and generally at the decision of a committee overseen by the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas.
In the case of missing documents, the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas will send a letter to the applicant asking him to complete his file.
If the applicant fails to submit the requested documents within 3 years following a request for additional information, the application for recognition will be cancelled and a new application will have to be submitted.
Once the applicant's file is complete, the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas will generally send an answer within 2 to 6 weeks and after 3 months at the most.
This deadline begins from the date on which the complete application is submitted to the Department for Recognition of Diplomas.
Granting the recognition
Applicants will receive the certificate of recognition by post if their professional qualifications have been recognised.
They can then submit an application for a license to practise the relevant profession.
Refusal of recognition
In the event where the recognition of the level of education, of the equivalence of a diploma or of a professional qualification is denied, a non-contentious appeal may be lodged with the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth.
If the non-contentious appeal is unsuccessful, a judicial appeal can be filed with the help of a lawyer before the administrative tribunal in Luxembourg against the decision of the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth.
Forms / Online services
Demande de reconnaissance de niveau d'études, d'équivalence de diplômes et d'équivalence de qualifications professionnelles pour les métiers de l'artisanat et du commerce
Demande de reconnaissance de niveau d'études, d'équivalence de diplômes et d'équivalence de qualifications professionnelles d'éducateur
Demande de reconnaissance de niveau d'études, d'équivalence de diplômes et d'équivalence de qualifications professionnelles pour les métiers de la santé
Who to contact
Department for the recognition of diplomas18-20, montée de la Pétrusse
Phone : (+352) 247-85910Fax : (+352) 247-85933Mon.-Fri. from 8.30 to 11.30 and from 14.00 to 17.00