School trips to the United Kingdom

Last updated more than 5 years ago

Specific rules apply to school trips to the United Kingdom.

British authorities ask that all pupils in a group appear on the "List of Travellers".

This list must be presented by the teacher accompanying the group to the Immigration Officer when arriving in the United Kingdom. The list must:

  • identify all children in the group;
  • explain the purpose of the trip.

Who is concerned

This applies to pupils registered in basic or post-primary education, whose school organizes a school trip to the United Kingdom.

How to proceed

Before departure

Prior to the departure of the school trip, several formalities must be completed in a specific order:

  1. a parental authorisation certificate has to be signed for each pupil (the original will be kept by the teacher);
  2. the teacher or the accompanying person must complete the "list of travellers", which must provide full details of the following: the surname, first name, address, date and place of birth and the nationality of the children in question. The name and telephone number of one of the accompanying persons must also be given in order to enable clarification of any questions that may arise. The name and address of the school as well as the destination and duration of the trip must also be indicated on the form;
  3. for kindergartens, the list must bear the stamp of the communal administration and be signed by the mayor or his/her representative. For post-primary education establishments, the list must bear the stamp of the school and be signed by the headteacher.
  4. the following must be added to the duly completed school list: identity photos of the pupils (one 3 x 3.5cm photo per child).

Specific requirements depending on the type of pupil concerned

Depending on the pupils' administrative status, additional formalities may be necessary:

  • for EU citizens holding a valid identity document (identity card) and non-EU citizens holding a valid national passport and residence permit, there are no additional formalities;
  • for non-EU citizens who do not have a valid passport and/or valid residence permit, the list must be certified by the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs prior to the departure of the school trip.  To this end, the list must be received by the Immigration Directorate 3 weeks prior to the actual departure of the school trip at the latest;
  • pupils who are unlawfully resident will not be allowed to take part in a school trip.

In the event of doubt concerning a pupil's administrative status, teachers can obtain information from the Immigration Directorate.

It should be noted that children over 18 require a visa to enter the United Kingdom.


Should you have any specific questions, you can contact:

Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs
Immigration Directorate
26, route d'Arlon, L-1140 Luxembourg
Nadine Schumacher: phone: 247 88333; fax: 247 88347
Monique Schiltz: phone: 247 84553

Ministry of National Education
Schooling of foreign children
Monique Da Costa: phone: 247 85136; fax: 247 85140

Forms / Online services

Liste des observations sur les titres de séjour pour ressortissants de pays tiers

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Who to contact

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update