Applying for an international family record book

The international family record book is an official document issued in several countries, which contains extracts of civil status certificates pertaining to the members of a family.

Accordingly, this document is a compilation of all information on civil status records concerning:

  • the couple’s marriage;
  • the birth of the couple’s children;
  • the death of either spouse or children born to the couple.

The international family record book, which includes full details on the filiation of the family members, may be used and required as a supporting document for certain administrative procedures.

Who is concerned

The spouses can apply for an international family record book.


The international family record book is issued free of charge.

The same is true for any later amendments or updates made to these record books.


How to proceed

Submitting the application

On the occasion of the marriage, the civil registrar officially hands over an international family record book to the couple.

If the international family record book was not given to the couple during the wedding ceremony, it may be given to them at a later date, in particular by the civil registrar who officiated at the wedding or recorded the marriage certificate.

To obtain this record book, applicants may, depending on the commune, apply:

  • in person: to the civil registrar’s office, upon presentation of a valid ID card;
  • electronically: by submitting an application online;
  • by post;
  • by phone (during the opening hours of the communal administration).

In the case of applications submitted online, by post or telephone, the documents will be sent by post to the address indicated in the application.

Information included

Originally recorded information

The family record book mentions the surnames, given names, and date and place of birth of the spouses as well as the place and date of their marriage.

When issued, it usually contains:

  • an abridged copy of the couple’s marriage certificate;
  • information relating to the parents and spouses (filiation of the spouses);
  • if applicable, an abridged copy of the birth certificate of each of the couple’s children.

Subsequent amendments and updates to the originally recorded information

In light of changes in civil status, subsequent entries are made to the family record book, which may include, depending on the circumstances:

  • abridged copies of birth certificates for any children whose filiation is established after the date of issue of the record book;
  • abridged copies of birth certificates for any children born to the spouses;
  • details regarding the couple’s divorce or legal separation (marriage certificate with a marginal entry mentioning the divorce and the date and place an earlier marriage);
  • abridged copies of death certificates for any children who may have died before reaching the age of majority;
  • abridged copies of death certificates for the spouses or the parents of the spouses.

The family record book may only be updated once the corresponding civil status event has been recorded by the competent civil registrar:

  • either by issuing a document (birth or death certificate);
  • or by the addition of a marginal entry (divorce or legal separation).
For example, details concerning a divorce can only be included in the family record book after they have been entered on the marriage certificate.


Forms / Online services

Applying for an international family record book

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 1, Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Consult the <a href=''>list of communes</a> to find out if the online service is made available by your commune.

Demander un livret de famille international

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 1 Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Consult the <a href=''>list of communes</a> to find out if the online service is made available by your commune.

Ein internationales Familienstammbuch beantragen

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 1, Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Consult the <a href=''>list of communes</a> to find out if the online service is made available by your commune.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map