Update in progress
Various secondary schools in Luxembourg, both public and private institutions, propose academic programmes with an international focus that prepare students for the International Baccalaureate. Courses in the International Baccalaureate programme are taught in either French or English.
The International Baccalaureate is a general and balanced programme of education offered by 2,000 secondary schools in 125 countries around the world. In public schools offering this diploma programme, it is considered as equivalent to that leading to the Luxembourg secondary school leaving diploma.
The International Baccalaureate is recognised by most universities, thus allowing students to pursue higher education.
As enrolment requirements vary depending on the selected secondary school, it is advisable to get in touch with the schools directly for further information:
- Lycée Technique du Centre (LTC);
- Athénée de Luxembourg (AL);
- Waldorf School Luxembourg (private);
- the International School of Luxembourg (private).
Who is concerned
The International Baccalaureate programme is suitable for:
- students from the age of 14 or 15 having recently arrived in the country;
- students opting to pursue their secondary education in French or English.
Students must also be able to handle an academically challenging curriculum.
Admission requirements for the International Baccalaureate in French
In order to be accepted into this programme, students must have:
- excellent proficiency in French and a good command of English as well as proficiency at CEFR level A2 in a language other than French or English;
- successfully completed the fifth-class year of general secondary education (5e);
or a final mark average of more than 45 in the theoretical section of the ninth-class year (9e);
or studies completed abroad recognised as equivalent.
Applications and the grading of admission tests are handled individually.
Admission requirements for private schools
For information on these requirements, it is advisable to get in touch with the selected school directly.
How to proceed
Specific features of the International Baccalaureate at Lycée Technique du Centre
The academic programme comprises 4 years of study, including:
- 2 preparatory years (fourth- and third-class years, i.e., 4e and 3e) ;
- 2 years devoted to the diploma programme itself (second- and first-class years, i.e., 2e and 1re) with the following features:
- language of instruction: French;
- A1 language (native proficiency): French;
- A2 language (excellent proficiency): English;
- German is taught at a level appropriate for the students. Students with beginner’s language skills are admitted into the school’s standard fourth-class year (4e).
Lycée Technique du Centre received its official authorisation to offer the International Baccalaureate diploma programme in French from the Geneva-based International Baccalaureate Organisation in October 2008.
Subject groups taught under the International Baccalaureate diploma programme
- French language and literature (native proficiency level)
- English language and literature (excellent proficiency level)
- Social sciences and humanities
- Experimental sciences
- Mathematics and computer science
- Arts and electives
The academic coursework is supplemented by three other mandatory core components: Creativity, Activity and Service (CAS); Theory of Knowledge (TOK); and the Extended Essay (EE).
The choice of the main A1 and secondary A2 language is made by each school participating in the programme and German is taught at an appropriate level for students (beginners in German are admitted to the school’s standard fourth-class year (4e).
Who to contact
School service for newly arrived children (Cellule d'accueil scolaire pour élèves nouveaux arrivants – CASNA)58, boulevard Grande-Duchesse Charlotte
Phone : (+352) 247-85277
Waldorf School / Fräi-Öffentlech Waldorfschoul45, rue de l'Avenir
Phone : (+352) 46 69 32Fax : (+352) 22 02 08
International School of Luxembourg36, boulevard Pierre Dupong
Phone : (+352) 26 04 40Fax : (+352) 26 04 47 04