Applying to change one's surname and/or given name(s)

Last updated more than 5 years ago

Any person may apply to change their surname or given name(s) if they have a legitimate reason for doing so.

Who is concerned

Luxembourgish citizens who have valid reasons to change their surname or given name may apply to have it/them changed.

Non-citizens of Luxembourg who wish to change their surname and/or their given name(s) must apply to the authorities of their home country, even if they reside in or were born in Luxembourg.


The procedure for changing one's surname and/or given name(s) requires paying a registration fee:

  • EUR 61.00 to change one or more given names;
  • EUR 123.00 to change a surname;
  • EUR 185.00 to change a surname and one or more given names, or to change the the surname of the applicant and their under-age children.

How to proceed

Applying for a name change

Any Luxembourg citizen, whether residing in Luxembourg or abroad, may apply for a name change. The application must be in writing, and made either personally or through a lawyer, and sent to the Minister of Justice.

The application must be justified, i.e., it must contain real and sufficiently serious reasons justifying an authorisation to change the applicant's name.

The following are examples of legitimate reasons for a name change:

  • a surname or given name that is difficult to live with due to their ridiculous or pejorative sound;
  • a surname or given name that sounds foreign (to facilitate integration into the country);
  • a ridiculous association between the first name and the surname that could be harmful;
  • a gender change (for the first name).

Applying to change the name of a person under the age of 18

A change in the surname and/or given name(s) of a minor child may be requested by the child concerned. The separate request must be signed by both parents. It must be sent to the Minister of Justice.

The surname of a minor child may also result from a change in the surname of the parent whose name the child bears. A change in the surname of the parent is automatically extended to all of the parent's minor children bearing the same family name.

If one parent has sole custody of the child, the opinion of the other parent must be attached and a recent copy of the child's full birth certificate must be included with the application.

Documents to be submitted with the application

The following documents must be submitted with the application:

  • a photocopy of the applicant's ID card or passport;
  • a recently issued birth certificate;
  • a written explanation for the application, and, where applicable, documentation showing that the applicant uses the requested first name in their everyday life.

Approval of the application for a name change

If the Ministry of Justice approves the application, it sends the applicant or the applicant's representative a copy of the Grand-Ducal decision authorising the change of surname or first name in return for payment of a registration fee (the amount of which ranges from EUR 61.00 to EUR 185.00).

The Grand-Ducal decision will also be published in the Official Journal (Mémorial), but will only become effective 3 months following the publication. During that period, any person with a right to do so may present a request to the Ministry of Justice to have the decision revoked. If no opposition is filed, or opposition is filed but not granted, a certificate of non-opposition will be delivered to the applicant or the applicant's representative.

Applicants must then contact the registrar of their place of birth, bringing a copy of the decision authorising the name change and the certificate of non-opposition. The registrar will then record the name change in the margins of the applicant's birth certificate.

Applicants must also ask the commune in which they live to reissue their ID card and the Passport Office of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (Bureau des Passeports du Ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes - MAEE) to reissue their passport; ID cards and passports to be replaced must be delivered to the relevant authorities.

To obtain a new driver's license, applicants must contact the National Society of Automotive Traffic (Société nationale de circulation automobile - SNCA).

Rejection of the application for a name change

In the event of a rejection of the application for a name change, a copy of the decision will be sent to the applicant, who will then have 3 months from the notification to file an appeal with the administrative tribunal.

If necessary, an appeal against the decision of the administrative tribunal may be filed with the administrative court (Cour administrative) within 40 days following notice of the judgement by the clerk of the administrative tribunal.

The appeal to the administrative tribunal and the appeal to the administrative court must be filed with the assistance of a lawyer.

Forms / Online services

Authentic sources

National Registry of Natural Persons

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 1, Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Registre national des personnes physiques

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 1 Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Nationales Register natürlicher Personen

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 1, Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map
Double click to activate the map