Requesting a document for a British national which attests to their rights as a cross-border worker

The Withdrawal Agreement concluded between the European Union (EU) and the United Kingdom (UK) provides that British nationals who are employed or self-employed as cross-border workers in Luxembourg at the end of the transition period (31 December 2020) provided for in this Withdrawal Agreement, retain their right to work as cross-border workers after the end of the transition period.

In order to attest to this status, the British nationals concerned may apply for a specific document to be issued after the end of the transition period.

This document will be issued only on request, from 1 January 2021. It is not a compulsory document and is not a prerequisite for continuing to work in Luxembourg as a cross-border worker.

Who is concerned

British nationals concerned

British nationals who:

  • are legally resident in another EU Member State or the United Kingdom; and
  • are pursuing a professional activity in Luxembourg at the end of the transition period (i.e. before 1 January 2021).
"Cross-border workers" are workers who are employed in Luxembourg but who reside in another country, to which they return, in principle, each day or at least once a week.

Family members of British nationals

Until 31 December 2020, family members of UK cross-border workers who are third-country nationals, were able to benefit from a work permit exemption if they are employed in Luxembourg.

From 1 January 2021 however, these persons must have a work permit as a third-country national, cross-border worker.

British nationals who are not concerned

British nationals who start working in Luxembourg as a cross-border worker after the end of the transition period (i.e. after 31 December 2020) must follow the general procedure in place for third-country national cross-border workers. They must therefore first apply for a work permit before they can start working in Luxembourg.

The British national who is posted to Luxembourg is not concerned by the procedure explained here.


The British national and, where appropriate, their family member, must:

  • legally reside in another EU Member State;
  • have exercised their activity in Luxembourg before 1 January 2021.


This document is issued free of charge.

How to proceed

Filing an application

The applicant must send the required form, completed and signed, by post to the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.

Supporting documents

Applicants must attach several documents to their application:

  • a copy of a valid identity document (identity card or passport);
  • for persons residing in another Member State: a copy of the residence document issued by another EU Member State;
  • for persons residing in the United Kingdom: proof of residence in the United Kingdom;
  • a recent certificate of affiliation to the Joint Social Security Centre.

If the documents are not drawn up in German, French or English, an official translation by a sworn translator must be attached.

Application processing time

As soon as the application is processed, the applicant receives a letter inviting them to make an appointment with the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs, for the purpose of taking a photo and fingerprints to be included in the biometric document.

A few days after the biometric data have been collected, the applicant must make an appointment to pick up the biometric document in person at the Immigration Directorate.

The document takes the form of a chip card containing biometric data.

Validity period

The document is valid for 10 years.

The document will be valid from the first day after the end of the transition period, i.e. from 1 January 2021.

As long as the conditions for obtaining the residence document continue to be met, it will be renewable on request.

Forms / Online services

Application for a document certifying the rights as frontier worker for UK nationals in application of the Withdrawal Agreement

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Demande d’un document pour un ressortissant britannique attestant ses droits en tant que travailleur frontalier en application de l’Accord de retrait

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update