Applying for a permanent residence document for British nationals and members of their family who are nationals of a third country and covered by the Withdrawal Agreement

After 5 years of legal and uninterrupted residence in Luxembourg, British nationals and their family members, who are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement concluded between the United Kingdom and the European Union, have a permanent right of residence.

They can therefore apply for a specific residence document which attests to this right of permanent residence.

Who is concerned

The permanent residence document can be requested by:

  • British nationals who are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement and who have resided in Luxembourg for at least 5 years at the time of application;
  • third-country nationals who are family members of a British national, beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement, and who have resided in Luxembourg for at least 5 years with the British national.


The British national or their family member must have resided legally in Luxembourg for an uninterrupted period of 5 years.

For the calculation of the 5 years, the period of legal residence before 1 January 2021 is also taken into account.


The document is issued free of charge.

How to proceed

Filing an application

Applicants must fill in and sign an application form for a permanent residence document and send it by post to the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (Direction de l’Immigration du ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes).

To facilitate the processing of applications, all members of the same family (e.g. spouses and children) are asked to submit their residence permit applications together, at the same time.

Supporting documents

Applicants must attach the following document to the form:

  • for British nationals: a copy of their passport or national identity card;
  • for third country nationals who are family members of a British national: a full copy of their passport (all pages).

If the documents are not drawn up in German, French or English, an official translation by a sworn translator must be attached.

Application processing time

When their application has been processed, applicants will receive a letter inviting them to make an appointment with the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs in order to have their photograph and fingerprints taken, which will be incorporated into the residence permit.

A few days after the biometric data have been collected, the applicant must make an appointment and can then pick up the residence permit in person at the Immigration Directorate.

The residence document takes the form of a chip card containing biometric data.

Validity period

The document is valid for 10 years.

As long as the conditions for obtaining the residence document continue to be met, it will be renewable on request.

Forms / Online services

Application for a “permanent residence” document for a British national and his/her family member, third-country national, as beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Demande d’un document de « séjour permanent » pour un ressortissant britannique et le membre de sa famille, ressortissant d’un pays tiers, qui sont bénéficiaires de l’Accord de retrait

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update