How to organise a sports event or a procession on public roads

Do you want to organise a sports event or a procession on a public road?

Then you must apply for special authorisation from the Minister of Mobility and Public Works beforehand. It must be requested for:

  • sports competitions, such as:
    • running events;
    • bicycle races;
    • duathlon / triathlon races;
    • motor racing;
    • school cups in relation with road safety education; or
  • processions, such as:
    • cavalcades;
    • collections on the occasion of a 'Buergbrennen' festival;
    • the traditional 'Hämmelsmarsch' procession.

The application for authorisation must be submitted at least 4 weeks before the event. The application form can be signed:

  • electronically using a LuxTrust product or an electronic identity card (eID); or
  • by hand.
Please note: sports competitions require the application for additional authorisations.

More information can be found in our explanatory information pages on the organisation of:

Last update 

Latest news