Business Citizens

Aid following the floods of July 2021

Following the floods of 14 and 15 July 2021, you can apply for financial aid, whether you are a natural person, a legal entity, a farmer or a commune.

Natural persons

Any natural person residing in Luxembourg who has been affected by the natural disaster may, under certain conditions, apply for a financial aid for private households following a natural disaster.

This aid does not apply to damages covered by insurance. It must be requested from the Solidarity Division of the Ministry of Family Affairs, Integration and the Greater Region.

Find out more about this aid and how to apply in our explanatory information page.

Legal persons

Any company that has been granted a business permit by the General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises may be granted aid to compensate the damage caused by certain natural disasters.

The eligible costs are the costs resulting from the damage suffered as a direct consequence of the natural disaster. The loss must be assessed by an independent approved expert or an insurance claims assessor.

Find out more about this aid and how to apply for it from the Department for State Aid at the General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in our explanatory information page.


The Ministry of Agriculture, Viticulture and Rural Development may grant aid to agricultural, wine-growing and horticultural businesses affected by the floods.

In case of need, these business owners can contact the regional services of the Administration of Technical Agricultural Services (ASTA) to:

  • have the damages duly noted;
  • apply for compensation.

ASTA's regional service responsible for the north is competent for the cantons of Mersch, Rédange, Wiltz, Clervaux, Vianden and Diekirch. It can be contacted:

Please note: persons concerned must contact ASTA or complete the application form available under this link before 20 August 2021. The terms for the compensation procedure will be explained at that moment.

Short-time work in case of force majeure due to the floods

The heavy rainfall of 14 and 15 July 2021 caused flooding throughout the country and had consequences on business activities. The Government has therefore decided that the short-time working scheme in the event of force majeure can exceptionally, under certain conditions, be applied to all businesses located in Luxembourg and affected by the floods.

The application for short-time work must be submitted via the electronic assistant, using a LuxTrust product or an electronic identity card.


The communes can contact the Ministry of Home Affairs in order to receive compensation for damage caused to communal property as a result of the bad weather.

They must send an email to the following address:

Last update 

Latest news