The Ministry of Culture points out that employees in the cultural sector are eligible for short-time work in cases of force majeure. The short-time work scheme for cases of force majeure may apply to employees:
- who do not have a certificate of incapacity for work;
- whom a company can no longer employ full time or no longer employ at all:
- because its supplier can no longer supply it with raw materials due to the coronavirus; or
- in the event of a significant drop in customer demand due to the coronavirus; or
- if the company is no longer able to operate normally or if one or more departments are completely shut down due to the absence of staff caused by external coronavirus-related decisions.
In the event of approval, the Employment Fund may cover 80 % of the normal salaries (capped at 250 % of the social minimum wage for unskilled workers) for a maximum of 1,022 work hours per salaried worker.
The Ministry of the Economy has made a specific form available to companies to apply for short-time work in cases of force majeure linked to the coronavirus.
On gouvernement.lu you can furthermore consult the FAQ on the impacts of the coronavirus on businesses in Luxembourg.