Why are you contacting us?

I would like to track the progress of my procedures

If you carried out your procedure online, you can check the status of your procedure in your MyGuichet eSpace.
Please contact the competent administration for information on paper form procedures.

I cannot manage to carry out my procedure online

If you encounter any technical or functional issues when carrying out a procedures, please see our 'Help' section.
If the problem persists, contact our helpdesk by phone or email. Please attach a print screen of the related error message to your email.

I cannot find the information I need is a user-friendly site, which offers complete information on most common procedures. In order to avoid navigation issues, please use our search engine which enables finding information by entering simple key words. You can use this search engine by filling in the field 'Search' on top of each page on

I need a certificate, an official copy of a deed etc.

Those documents cannot be applied for on or our helpdesk.
Only specific administrations are allowed to issue those documents. Some offer online services on their websites (or on the website

I don't know to which administration I should send my application

The competent administration's name is indicated on the related information page on
Please click on "Who to contact" to view the administration's contact details and opening hours.
Accessible à partir de la page d’accueil, propose en outre un catalogue de l'ensemble des organismes mentionnés sur le site.

We are here you help you

  • Contact us by email

    Contact our helpdesk by email to get help to carry out your procedures or tell us about a problem on the website. The helpdesk is determined to answer each email rapidly.

  • Contact us by phone

    Our helpdesk is available by phone from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm on the following number: (+352) 247-82000.

  • Visit us! offers a personalized reception service to help all citizens carry out their procedures.